RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to start driving my rover a bit more. It had been sitting and I kept staring at while driving away in my other car, wishing I was in the rover instead :) . Its been fine the whole week, except today it seemed to wake up on the wrong side of the driveway. While making a turn, the transmission downshifted and made a loud CLUNK. It makes these clunks at low speed, and out of complete randomness. I have a feeling it is the governor on the back of the transmission, because in the morning it won't shift until the rpms reach at least 3k, once it warms up it will shift at 2k and 2500 like normal.

The temp gauge also started dancing around, I know it is an electrical problem and not actually overheating. The needle would only move under certain circumstances and is normally tolerable. However, today it really started doing the hokey pokey and would go back and fourth from center and hot. I am getting very tired of this and want to fix it next week when I attempt to repair the headliner. I know it is a ground loose somewhere, but have no idea which one and where to look. So I have to ask those who have experienced and repaired this problem, what grounds did you repair, and where were they? Thanks in advance! :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
My temperature guage did the same, i followed the electrical sticky section and found that the main ground to the engine was breaking down. I put new earth cables on and also an extra one from the -ve of the battery to the top bolt on the alternator and i havent had a problem since.
Hope this helps
Mark

·
Registered
665 Posts
exactly what i was going to say, check your battery terminals for corrosion, and all your grounds. I'm thinking about adding another ground, i loose.4 volts in mine, which is a LOT!!!!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OMG! Thanks for convincing me to check them closer. From the outside appearance, the negative cable looks fine. I decided to cut back the insulation a tad bit for further inspection, and I don't think I've seen more corrosion on a battery terminal before :oops: . Should I replace this with an OEM cable, or will a generic cable work? Thanks again!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I had mine made up at my local indi, told them the length i wanted and what fittings on the ends and they done them while i waited. Paid £1.25p per mtr for the cable and 50p each for the fittings no charge for the making of the leads.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Figured I would give an update. I ended up making my own ground, from a generic one. Cutted it to length and added some of the "special" connectors. Took it for a little drive, and the dancing needle isn't dancing anymore :dance: . The climate control seemed to work better along with a couple other things as well. Thank You!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts