RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
no faults, but im pretty sure I have a problem.

All gears work forward and reverse.

The problem started yesterday and it feels funny as it doesnt hold the gear like it use to when I let off the gas. car coast extremely better though. Any insights, is this a simple fluid change/fill or do I need a new transmission????

its a 2002 with 126k on it....

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:

Ok, its working, but not correctly. I hit the interstate and when I hit 70 mph it finally shifts into its last gear. This shifting is akward as heck and there are no errors, any insight gentlemen?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Could it be your torque converter not locking until 70. Sometimes in winter when very cold ours won't lock up until driven several miles. Not sure what other reason could cause your issue but I assume that the torque converter locks up based on an electronic signal. trans ecu? wiring to/from? Good luck!

·
Registered
553 Posts
My trans has been acting up since I got her, no faults , new filter and oil. When I put my foot flat down she changes smooth when I accelerate medium she changes smooth till 3rd when she changes to 3rd then back to 2nd and then finally to third

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
torque converter locking?

someone explain please in detail. mechanical, electrical...??? :think:

·
Registered
541 Posts
So..have you checked the fluid level? Do you know of any tranny leaks? I'd check for that first - simple and free.

Have you had your battery out lately, or have you cleaned or replaced your MAF?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no fluid leak i know of except power steering of course. I dont think i have a dip stick. I did replace the battery about 2 weeks ago.... :think: explanation please...

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, so, i disconnect the battery and reconnect, trans is perfect. So today, its been maintence, all fluids changed, New (correct size) battery, etc etc. Truck shifts perfect now and purrs like a kitten, man, these things are finicky.....

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
I bet it was low on oil, the later P38s dont have the tranny dipstick so people tend to forget about having the oil checked and filled as per workshop manual, I get them in all the time with severe low oil quantity, around 2.5 to 3 liters at most.

It still surprises me how these ZF boxes take the punishment and keep going..

·
Registered
541 Posts
I would agree, fluid level can cause that type of behavoir.

My other thought above is if the truck was re-learning some of the settings if the battery was out or the MAF cleaned or replaced.

·
Administrator
27,825 Posts
viperover said:
It still surprises me how these ZF boxes take the punishment and keep going..
I can vouch for this bit! When I was starting my engine rebuild a buddy of mine drained the fluid out of my tranny instead of the engine. :shock: after the engine rebuild I drove almost 500 miles about a gallon low on tranny fluid. :doh: I topped her off and all is still going strong. Of course in hind sight I have to wonder who was the bigger moron. My buddy for pulling the wrong plug or me for not noticing something was up with the tranny. :oops:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts