RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my rover has been overheating these past few months, or at least it was indicating it. Today I want to get the a/c recharged for the 3rd time in 3 months (this time putting some dye in there to track the leak). While driving I noticed the temp gauge was past center indicating it was hot. It would do this off and on. It would usually indicate it while as soon as I touched the brakes and started to slow down. It was amplified when the a/c is on but, does not usually do it. I think I have finally figured it out though. Today I got home and turned it off with the gauge almost in the red but not quite. For the heck of it, I decided well lets put the key in the on position. So I did, and the gauge went exactly to the center position. When I started it again and engaged the a/c, about 4 seconds later it moved back to where it was before, indicating the rover was running hot. This problem had puzzled me forever because it would indicate that it was overheating only during specific times that usually made sense. Thankfully I know that it is a short and I can stop scratching my head. I will be trying that kit on Atlantic British that converts the temp sensor so there is no interference. Has anyone used the kit before?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I cant help as i havent had such problem, i would be interested to see details of the kit though, if you have them?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I had this it was a bit frightning as i has just had the engine rebuilt twice. Anyway every time i used the aircon or the programme button on the hevac the temperature gauge would go up to the red. Follow the electrical sticky, the temperature sender relies on the earth from the engine block and when the earth cables start to break down it makes weird things happen. I replaced all main cables and an extra one from the -ve of the battery to the top mounting bolt on the alternator and i havent had a problem since.
From what i have seen of this kit it just allows a seperate eart to be used, but it doesnt stop the rest of the earth cables from playing up.
Hope this helps
Mark

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had this it was a bit frightning as i has just had the engine rebuilt twice. Anyway every time i used the aircon or the programme button on the hevac the temperature gauge would go up to the red. Follow the electrical sticky, the temperature sender relies on the earth from the engine block and when the earth cables start to break down it makes weird things happen. I replaced all main cables and an extra one from the -ve of the battery to the top mounting bolt on the alternator and i havent had a problem since.
From what i have seen of this kit it just allows a seperate eart to be used, but it doesnt stop the rest of the earth cables from playing up.
Hope this helps
Mark
Helps a BUNCH! Thanks for the input. That is all the kit seemed to do but, I would rather solve the problem entirely because, I am sure it is causing other issues that I cannot see. I will try what you did and see if that works, thanks again :D

·
Registered
214 Posts
No problem glad to help it makes a change for me to help someone instead of asking for help,
i hope this cures your problem let us know how you get on.
Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts