RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks,

Looking for advice. I have a 2009 RRS with over 160k miles on it. A few weeks back it started acting odd when I tried to start it. It would not start on the first try, instead it just clicked, second try started and ran fine. Then last friday it would not start on the second try, it took like four tries, then the dash lit up like a christmas tree. Every warning from parking brake, to HDC to transmission, etc....shut it down, fired it back up and all was fine. Spent time Sunday checking the battery, all is good with it, started up fine but now the check engine light is on full time, so I called a mechanic. He ran codes on it and now declares I need- Starter- this I agree with or the solenoid...then says I need the transfer case ECU, the left and right cam sensor and an instrument cluster.

I just replaced the cluster not 3 years ago.

Is it possible the mess with the starter caused all these codes, or is he right?

I think he is trying to skin me out of as much money as possible.

Let me know what you think, and have you seen this type of problem before?

Seriously, thank you for your replies

Chris

·
Registered
29 Posts
You're definitely getting ripped off. Who tested the battery? Your symptoms suggest that you have a bad starter but low voltage from a weak battery will set a lot of DTCs. Did he tell what what codes he found?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are the codes he sent

PO0340-92 Camshaft position sensor
PO035-92 Camshaft position sensor A circuit
U0402-94 Invalid data from Transmission control
U0416-94 Invalid data from vehicle Dynamics control
U1A03-4A- Vehicle configuration parameter
C1A02-94 Ratary Encoder Stuck in Intermediate position
U20223-86- Engine Torque information
U0155-87 Lost Communication with Instrument cluster
U1A35-4A- VIN data
U1A03 Vehicle configuration parameter
U0428-68- invalid data from steering angle sensor
U0401-68- Invalid data from engine control module
U0421-68 Invalid data from ride level control
C1A13-64 Pressure does not decrease when venting- ??
C1A29-92- Switch activation too long
U0416-86 Invalid data from vehicle dynamics
U0100-87 Lost communication with engine control
U0122-87 lost communication with engine dynamics module
U3002-62 VIN

He wants 3700 to fix it all- Will only use dealer parts too

With 160k miles I am A OK with Autozone parts like the starter.....

I checked the battery out, it is only a few months old and charged correctly....

Would a hard reset on this maybe fix some things?

If so, could I use jumper cables to do so and then get a starter from Autozone?

Love the RRS, but I think most mechanics are trying to rip us off.

Thanks again, that was exactly what I thought....but need to know if I need to replace everything or just try to hard reset and then a starter.

Really appreciate the reply

Chris

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing that could have triggered all those codes, is that I hooked up another batter to test it with that one, and that battery is not good....so that could have caused all the issues...maybe????

Seriously lost here and I don't want to throw money in the toilet....

·
Registered
144 Posts
If it needs a starter put one in and have ALL the codes in all modules cleared. The computers and network are very voltage dependent and if the voltage drops erroneous codes will set. Communication faults are almost always battery voltage related.The computers all talk to each other to some extent. So for now ignore all the faults. Get her running and see if any faults come back after its up and running. Also sounds like your mechanic either does not know these cars or is trying to rip you off which would be sad. (I would assume he just does not know how these things work)

·
Registered
531 Posts
There could be years worth of codes there - clear them all and then switch on as best you can. Then read the codes - the few that there will be the ones relevant to your issue - concentrate on the main one first and ignore the cascading codes for the moment.

I would start with the battery and confirm it is all ok - then look at the starter etc.

garry

·
Registered
130 Posts
Test battery. Battery good? Test starter. Starter bad? Replace Starter. A few YouTube vids out there; it’s easier than it looks. Get a Denso refurbished one off eBay or your local store (return the core). Don’t worry about any other codes until the battery and starter are in the clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
326 Posts
You should also check all the ground points - including at starter and alternator for corrosion - even if battery tests good - bad grounds could cause these sort of issues

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
Alpaca
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing