Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent my £70k ...then found the man in front had spent £140k (GBP)

Hi - first post after reading all 58 pages of this forum. Lots of fantastic help in ordering my new RRS HSE.

I was really pleased with confirming my HSE + Options configuration, coming out at about £70,000 GBP... then my salesman told me he had just finished an order for a 26 year-old guy (I am a 'young' 60-year-old male) who had ordered the V8 and somehow managed to add enough options to get the price up to £140,000. I guess he must have just said "I'll have everything"! And, he was paying in cash! It made my £70k sound like a poor effort!

But I am really pleased with what I have ordered. I am about half way through my 6-month wait, and if I hadn't found this forum (the UK forums are very poor on the Sport), I don't think I would have added some of the options that I am now so pleased about having. As it seems the norm on here to post what you are getting, here it is:

• V6 HSE (I tried the Dynamic, but preferred to put the extra £5k towards some more Options instead)
  • Firenze Red, with the Panoramic Roof. I have not gone for the contrast roof (I kept changing my mind on this), because I like the 'floating roof' look of having the body-coloured roof. The Dealer also has a Firenze showroom model with a Black roof, and it just doesn't work for me. If it doesn't work out, I can always wrap the roof in a contrast colour
  • Ebony/Lunar/Ebony, with the Dark Oak Finisher. I think the bright red Firenze needs a dark interior. I really wanted the Micro-Mesh Finisher, but I can't get it on the HSE
  • Low-Range (Off-Road Pack)
  • 5-Year Servicing Pack (at £699 - it really is fantastic value)
  • Noble-Plated Paddles
  • Stainless Steel Peddles
  • Auto-Dimming Mirrors
  • Blind Spot Monitoring/Closing Vehicle Sensors/Reversing-Out Sensors
  • Surround Cameras
  • Automatic Cruise Control, with QA and IEB
  • High Beam Assist
  • Privacy Glass (in the rear - UK law requires us to keep the front windows clear)
  • Full-Size Spare Wheel
  • Deployable Towbar
  • Extra Large Washer Bottle
  • Paint Protection
  • Mud Flaps (Front and Rear)
  • Rubber Floor Mats
  • Boot Liner
With 3 months still to go, it's entirely possible that I will change/add something else of course!

I live in the South-West of England (County of Devon), which is very rural. A lot of my driving is in country lanes, which are not much wider than the Sport, so I am thinking of getting the sides wrapped to minimise the inevitable scratching from the hedges. It will also be used for long-distance motorway cruising, plus a lot of long-distance towing (8 metre/2000kg trailer) in the UK and around Europe.

It's my first LR (but I have had a lot of SUVs), and I can't remember ever being so excited about getting a car!

Thanks for providing such a wealth of information and advice, to help me make my choice.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,991 Posts
Re: I spent my £70k ...then found the man in front had spent £140k (GBP)

Congrats! Nowadays the V6 is becoming the entry level RRS vs the V8 SC paid in cash. I feel old already!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
381 Posts

Congrats on the order :). 3 months will fly. I think you've made a good decision on the roof, I don't think the contrast roof really works well on any of the colours besides white and to a lesser extent black.

Lot of young guys into the new Sport. Doesn't look dated like the old Sport, or "non-sporty" like the RR. Great engine, great looks, lots of tuning options, what's not to love? Of course all these factors are also appealing to the more seasoned gentleman. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Of course all these factors are also appealing to the more seasoned gentleman. :)
That made me smile - I am going to describe myself as 'the more seasoned gentleman' from now on :)

Am I the oldest Sport owner (well, prospective owner) on here I wonder. The body is age 60, but the driver inside is still about 25 :-?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

Seen about 6 local sports here. All the drivers I have seen so far look 40 and below. By the way I just went by dealer there must be like 15 sports on the lot! All usual colors, white, blcak, silver, with standard 20s on them. Also 4-5 L405s inside the show room and a couple outside. It looks likes like mass market V6s mostly. Maybe the long waits are over and you can walk in get one off the lot. China factor diminished at same time so prices will start falling for sure. They wont be able to get over MSRP on anything next year IMO.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,633 Posts

I think there are at least a couple of college "kids" on this forum with V8 RRSs.

·
Registered
201 Posts

I think there are at least a couple of college "kids" on this forum with V8 RRSs.
I am 19 do i count as a "kid", "teen" or "adult". But for some reason I prefer to be called gentleman ?, young on the outside, old on the inside perhaps? (Kid you not my daily driver back home is a 740li, is it normal to have similar preferences of a seasoned gentleman?)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

I am 19 do i count as a "kid", "teen" or "adult". But for some reason I prefer to be called gentleman , young on the outside, old on the inside perhaps? (Kid you not my daily driver back home is a 740li, is it normal to have similar preferences of a seasoned gentleman?)
:clap: I wish I had your fortunes at your age! I think being a "kid" and having one of these rigs is a blessing, so I think you should be happy you have this as a kid. I could tell from your user-name: 19y/o born 1995 and you are Ryan... kind of obvious. I am not sure where I fall myself. I am in my second last semester in graduate school, but unlike you I am a sort of late bloomer twice your age. But I have been out on my own since I turned 17. I entered college at your age, but then couldn't afford even a bicycle. It can only mean you will be driving Ferrari by time you are my age and I admire that.

In college I qualify as an old geezer but here looks like am among the new crop of college kids the sport has brought to LR. We are the 24 character communication generation. A language all its own that the "adults" don't understand. You can see the conflicts on the forum where the old timers get bent out of shape when you state facts and criticize these infallible cars. It happens in all areas of life even outside of forums.

Two years ago one of our banking client's SVP went off the rails because my team was sending official emails full of "cryptic garbage" like IMO, IIRC, YMMV where he asked what the hell is all this and what does yumvee mean? :lol: I got a talking to as you might imagine. I then had to go talk to the team and warn them I wouldn't tolerate high school style emails that disrespected the bank. - We then all had a laugh as they knew I really didn't care and I think banks are no better than you know who... But being the "adult" in charge of the group, I had to stiffen up do my best AL Gore imitation and lay down the law. Our consulting company heard about it from the bank too, about all them unprofessional kids they are hiring have no communication skills. Sometimes these things are just comical. One of our guys called a director "Hey dude.." oh the blasphemy!! Admittedly we needed some training in etiquette for some of the kids on the team.

As more and more "kids" buy these things new or later on the used market and then discover this forum, it will get interesting (more lively?) in here. I came from BMW forum I have been on for 10yrs never got flagged ones but on here I keep being reminded to not go off the farm and its a huge adjustment.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

As the OP, and by comparison to most of you, really-old, I suppose when I drive by you (not likely as you are predominately in the US and I'm in the UK), you will say something like "look at that old f**t driving a Sport" - "he should stick to a Full-Fat, where he belongs". :dance:

If you have Sports actually sitting at dealers for sale, then something is very skewed, as I live about 300 miles from where they are made and I can't even SEE an HSE, let alone buy one without a 6-month wait. And we seem to pay a lot more than US buyers for the privilege of buying a UK-made vehicle. I'm not bitter though (well, OK, perhaps a little), and I still desperately want mine to arrive! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

If I wasted stuck at home with school assignments I would go take a picture for you. I knew things have slowed but even I was really surprised to see the lot full of new sports and a show room with several FFRR in it. I paid $10K premium on mine just 6 months ago, didn't expect things to change this fast or I would have passed on it an waited for 2015. Change in demand in China probably has a lot to do with this.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts

As the OP, and by comparison to most of you, really-old, I suppose when I drive by you (not likely as you are predominately in the US and I'm in the UK), you will say something like "look at that old f**t driving a Sport" - "he should stick to a Full-Fat, where he belongs". :dance:

If you have Sports actually sitting at dealers for sale, then something is very skewed, as I live about 300 miles from where they are made and I can't even SEE an HSE, let alone buy one without a 6-month wait. And we seem to pay a lot more than US buyers for the privilege of buying a UK-made vehicle. I'm not bitter though (well, OK, perhaps a little), and I still desperately want mine to arrive! :mrgreen:
Hello and welcome DevonLad, you live in a beautiful part of the UK.

Clearly, inventory levels vary by region here in the US, I was at my Dealer today and they have only two HSE's and to reflect rarity there is still the $5,000 up charge, which in case you didn't know is a premium added to the actual msrp of the car.

I'm also from the UK and am constantly amazed at the price of Cars over there, I have a similar HSE to the one you ordered plus rear entertainment. You paid £70,000, I paid $72,000, I don't want to rub it in, but that's only about £46,000. As you said, you're only 300 miles from Solihull, I'm 3600 miles away.

Mind you, it's not all a Bed of Roses for us over here, PG Tips are expensive and so is HP Sauce, don't even get me started on Black Pudding and spotted Dick!!!

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts

Mind you, it's not all a Bed of Roses for us over here, PG Tips are expensive and so is HP Sauce, don't even get me started on Black Pudding and spotted Dick!!!
`)

Now you have me wanting Maltesers and some good pork sausage to make Toad in The Hole!

DevonLad, welcome! I've also had a long wait and spending time participating here has made the time more bearable, being able to share information with other RR/RRS future and current owners! I have 5 more weeks to wait ...

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

....PG Tips are expensive and so is HP Sauce, don't even get me started on Black Pudding and spotted Dick!!!
Sounds rather exotic there Jaguar. Especially that last one! :lol:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

You paid £70,000, I paid $72,000, I don't want to rub it in, but that's only about £46,000.

Now I am depressed:crybaby2:

·
Registered
161 Posts

Welcome DevonLad; and no you're definitely not the oldest Sport owner (if you count the original version) as I have a couple of years on you. But you might be one of the very few who routinely drives in rural (and I assume often unpaved) roads - many North American RR owners wouldn't know where the nearest muddy road is... I am curious about which tires (or tyres...) you plan to use, since you clearly have ample experience on your rural lanes - assume you have the base 20 inch wheels.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

I just turned 18. 20 years ago.
In RRS age parlance you just enetered the senior citizens club now. Time to start planning for the FFRR to replace little brother. :lol:
Am with you... dont take offence..

·
Registered
1,298 Posts

In RRS age parlance you just entered the senior citizens club now. Time to start planning for the FFRR to replace little brother. :lol:
Am with you... dont take offence..
Dude, my wife does a great job of making me feel old every day. I don't need this abuse. lol.
This year she tried to make me believe that all of the following terms were things I was supposed to know about:

1) Elf of a shelf
2) Friends-giving
3) Stuffing balls

I called BS on all three.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

very few who routinely drives in rural (and I assume often unpaved) roads - many North American RR owners wouldn't know where the nearest muddy road is... I am curious about which tires (or tyres...) you plan to use, since you clearly have ample experience on your rural lanes - assume you have the base 20 inch wheels.
They are mostly paved (surfaced, as we say), but often badly with a lot of potholes, and frequently covered in mud and 'cow deposits' from the farms and tractors that use the lanes. It's the width (or lack of it) that causes the problems, if you are not used to it - visitors frequently get themselves into trouble. :oops:

There is a steep and rock-strewn lane near my house, which maps and SatNavs show as a 'proper road' and the local farmer has to pull a visitor's car back out of it a couple of times a year, often leaving their sump behind! Why they drive down it in a car I don't know, as it's obvious that anything less than a 'proper' 4x4 (or a tractor) is never going to make it. [If you are interested, have a look on Google Maps/Street-View for the rocky-lane 'Fleet Mill Lane, Totnes, Devon', or for the type of lane that I drive on frequently, have a look around 'Staverton, Devon' [Lots of Staverton's in the UK, so check you have the Devon one].

Tire/Tyre wise, I have ordered the base wheels and 20" tyres, as the 21/22 wouldn't be any good to me. As the 20s are not really 'mud' tyres (even though LR have them marked as such), I will see how I get on and then might swop them for some proper road/mud tyres later.

I see you are in Canada: we have relatives who come over occasionally from Canada, and when we drive them through the lanes to see some of our family, they can never get used to the width of the lanes and the need to reverse often long distances to a passing-place, if two cars meet. It still fascinates them after several times of seeing the lanes! :shock:

Sorry, that all got a bit OT didn't it :naughty:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts

visitors frequently get themselves into trouble. :oops:
But they're fun to watch.....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts