RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid on-board computer got me again, twice in 4 years. Heading down the 405 fwy at the speed of light late for an appointment as usual, the low fuel chime dings and the light comes on. I check the LCD, remaining range is 56 miles. Customer is 38 miles away. No problem I think, I'll make my appointment and gas up as soon as I am done.

Then the dreaded 73 toll road climb (from Irvine to the toll booth, for the locals in the know) arrives... I watch in horror while the LCD revises my range down a couple of miles every 10 seconds of driving, as my engine labors during the climb. By the time I make it to the summit the LCD says I have 12 miles left, but the customer is only 7 miles away. Whew, it looks like I'll squeak by this time, fortunately it's all downhill from there and the range will surely go back up. About 30 seconds later, engine dies. The LCD goes from 12 to 7 to 3 to 0 in a fraction of a second, little *******.

I pulled safely to the side of the road - Transmission Failure and all kinds of doom and gloom messages and chimes going off - and called AAA to get my complimentary 2 gallons of emergency fuel delivered, unfortunately regular unleaded... I never made my appointment. :oops: The good news is that the engine started right up, lol. Whenever the displayed range says 50 miles or less, I start sweating profusely now.

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
50 miles or less... Or Less... OR LESS. When I hit 1/4 tank I almost always top up for fear of the OR LESS side of the equation. Knock on wood, I haven't run out of gas in 12+ years.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I gas up in the low 30's. With my commute there are tons of gas stations that I can make it to.

I have never runout of gas, but do feel like pulling a Kramer one day and seeing how far I can get before she stops.

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Since the fuel pump is cooled by the liquid in the tank, how many "Run Dries" will it last? On many cars you only get 2.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
:lol: Been to "0" quite a few times. I'm wondering if the float switch (if that's what it uses) came all the way down as the gas moved to one end while you were climbing - then the computer sensed it for some time and threw the flag - by the time the gas returned, computer said "no can do"? Sorry you missed the appointment man.

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
Drevs said:
You guys in LA drive too much! Maybe you could keep an emergency bicycle in your trunk??
no No NO! Keep an emergency Tata in your trunk. Until then I think a SMART will fit. :mrgreen: OR be smart enough to top off your tank sooner. :twisted:

SOrry guys, that was just WAY too easy.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
An easier solution is to keep a small Rotopax of gas in the car - these are much easier to use than jerry cans and can be stored in the back nice and flat, hardly take up any room at all. I got one of the last green (for gas) 4 gallon ones which actually seems to hold 4.5 gallons - can be a lifesaver. For Labor day, we went down to camp for 2 days on the beach on North Padre island, all the way to the end (60 miles of deep sand) and sure enough at the end was a guy in a Suburban who had run out of gas. Sold him the 4.5 gallons and he was back in business.

Bought a few of these recently for our last set of expeditions for gas and water, they are much slimmer and completely sealed...no leakage or fumes.

https://www.rotopax.com/

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hope you don't run out in People's Republic of NJ. It is still illegal to carry gas in a personal vehicle on the NJ Turnpike!

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
bop08 said:
Hope you don't run out in People's Republic of NJ. It is still illegal to carry gas in a personal vehicle on the NJ Turnpike!
Jeez I figured I couldn't carry diesel fuel and bags of fertilizer together. I'll bet its probably not due to any safety issue per se but so the dude who has the tow truck contract for that 20 mile stretch of the NJ Turnpike (which he got by bribing the state official in charge) can charge you $100 for 2 gallons of gas.

We can't even pump our own gas in this state and I need a gun permit to buy a Daisy bb gun. Y'all laugh, but this is coming to your states soon...via the federal government.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's already creeping into PA. You got to go above Allentown now before Freedom begins. How come you got guys to pump your gas but its 10 cents cheaper on your side of the Delaware? Do they work for a negative dime?

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
bop08 said:
It's already creeping into PA. You got to go above Allentown now before Freedom begins. How come you got guys to pump your gas but its 10 cents cheaper on your side of the Delaware? Do they work for a negative dime?
Its taxes Bop. See this nice graph.

http://www.stateline.org/live/printable/story?contentId=403245

I'm on my second fuel filler door, and now that is broken again and I will need a third, because the attendants at the filling station don't know they have to press the door in to get it open.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Lived 2 years in Alaska, Delta Junction (suppose to be the second coldest spot in the Northern Hemisphere). Jan 1 1970 it was -76 with a wind chill of -135. Went bar hopping in a Jeep with no coolant at all. Don't think it is worth the drive just to fill up!

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
gooseyloosey said:
Y'all laugh, but this is coming to your states soon...via the federal government.
Just got back from my trip to NJ. You need a paid permit to WALK ONTO THE BEACH. WTF??? Unbelievable.

·
Registered
703 Posts
So... how much gas is really left in the tank after the dial reaches zero?

I know in most cars, there's about a gallon left in tank.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts