RangeRovers.net Forum banner

81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
208 Posts
Are you saying a 275 55 20 tire is going to hurt the drivetrain on a sport?
He is saying to not mix tires / rims / diameters amongst the 4 touching the ground. If they are the same then there is no damage. If the 4 are of different diameter then there is damage.

275/55/20 tires all round are fine. You also should get a spare of the same diameter. Do not use the donut spare.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hey All, so I finally got a full size spare for my truck, factory 20" wheel with 275 55 20 BFG K02 tire. Replaced the doughnut today and unfortunately the rear cargo floor/deck no longer closes flush in the back. The beefy tire pokes up a good inch or so. Good news is I rested the cargo floor and my interior protection rear mat on top of the tire and it doesn't look too bad. More of an OCD frustration than anything. Keep telling myself that minor OCD frustration is nothing compared to if I needed that spare at some point (especially off road) and was stuck with a doughnut. Next mod is my rack setup so depending on how well that goes I may just relocate the spare to the roof cargo area.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
208 Posts
Hey All, so I finally got a full size spare for my truck, factory 20" wheel with 275 55 20 BFG K02 tire. Replaced the doughnut today and unfortunately the rear cargo floor/deck no longer closes flush in the back. The beefy tire pokes up a good inch or so. Good news is I rested the cargo floor and my interior protection rear mat on top of the tire and it doesn't look too bad. More of an OCD frustration than anything. Keep telling myself that minor OCD frustration is nothing compared to if I needed that spare at some point (especially off road) and was stuck with a doughnut. Next mod is my rack setup so depending on how well that goes I may just relocate the spare to the roof cargo area.
Did you get rid of the foam that is under the donut. It just lifts out. If you take it out then the tire sits flush.

·
Registered
283 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fe4F_F_pLI Someone made a pretty sweet instructional video on installing the rails. Looks like you don't need the finisher kit and that you just drill through the existing gutter covers and re-attach. The only thing I'm worried about is the strength of the aftermarket cross bars which I also found on eBay. It's hard to say, in my own work I've worked with factories in China and found most of the stuff we buy everyday thats marketed as high quality with big brand names is made in the same factories by the same people in China. However seeing as how my crossbars will be holding an expedition style basket there's still that worry in the back of my mind that if one of those bars broke/malfunctioned I'd have a serious problem.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I need to see if I can install one of my stock tires on my non-full-size spare as a backup. I'm guessing no, but can anyone confirm? I don't have the tow package.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I need to see if I can install one of my stock tires on my non-full-size spare as a backup. I'm guessing no, but can anyone confirm? I don't have the tow package.
No. The standard spare tire is total a joke. It might rival the width of a Model T of the 1930s, but nothing else.

eBay a fresh take off if you (as I did) passed on the tow package with full size spare.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
Since the model T had been out of production long before the 30's that would be quite a feet. :roll:

Seriously though. Most people never use a spare of any kind let alone need a full sized spare. Most cars these days don;t even come with a spare to save not only cost but weight. Unless you are going off road or travel long distance outside of metro areas there is no need for spare with AAA, LRNA road side and how most insurance companies have road side service.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Took a couple more pictures of my T/A KO2s to share:

Unfortunately this one is with the car in comfort access mode, so the stance of the car looks strange.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Since the model T had been out of production long before the 30's that would be quite a feet.

Seriously though. Most people never use a spare of any kind let alone need a full sized spare. Most cars these days don;t even come with a spare to save not only cost but weight. Unless you are going off road or travel long distance outside of metro areas there is no need for spare with AAA, LRNA road side and how most insurance companies have road side service.
1927? What a smelly feat indeed. ; )

Since we're on an AT tire thread for Land Rovers I think people should be aware (and likely agree) that the standard spare tire is a little underwhelming to say the least. This is still a Land Rover, not a BMW i3. Totally agree that roadside assistance is great, but I hope I'm not naive to think most of us want a more self-reliant option regardless of AAA, LRNA or mom; especially when we're slapping ATs on the them.

At the end of the day to each his own. Comparison photo below. Godspeed.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have a set of BFG TA2 275/55/20 on my 2016 RRS diesel and love them. While there is a slight noticeable noise increase on the highway (more or less noise depending on if it is asphalt or concrete) and the handling is not quite as crisp, those are acceptable trade-offs to me as the tires work great in all the rain we have been having here in Houston and they look great too. While not required to get them to fit, I did add 20mm of “lift” using the GAP programmer just to help give it a little more of a balanced look with the larger tires.

I also added a full size spare tire on a factory take off wheel and it fits into the spare tire well without an issue. I will only carry size spares anymore as last year we were in Colorado with my wife's 2014 LR4 (it also has the BFG TA2 275/55/20 tires) and ended up cutting a sidewall on a trail outside of Salida, and we had to go all the way back to Pueblo to get a replacement. I like the fact that I won’t have to worry as much when I take the RRS up to Colorado this year to tackle the Alpine Loop. This works for me but might not be necessary for others.

Here are a few pictures of it in action with the new tires:

At top of hill in extended height mode
RRS1.jpg

Water was too deep for me
RRS4.jpg

Coming down a hill I shouldn't have been coming down but made it without a scratch
RRS2.jpg

·
Registered
283 Posts
I also have a set of BFG TA2 275/55/20 on my 2016 RRS diesel and love them. While there is a slight noticeable noise increase on the highway (more or less noise depending on if it is asphalt or concrete) and the handling is not quite as crisp, those are acceptable trade-offs to me as the tires work great in all the rain we have been having here in Houston and they look great too. While not required to get them to fit, I did add 20mm of “lift” using the GAP programmer just to help give it a little more of a balanced look with the larger tires.

I also added a full size spare tire on a factory take off wheel and it fits into the spare tire well without an issue. I will only carry size spares anymore as last year we were in Colorado with my wife's 2014 LR4 (it also has the BFG TA2 275/55/20 tires) and ended up cutting a sidewall on a trail outside of Salida, and we had to go all the way back to Pueblo to get a replacement. I like the fact that I won’t have to worry as much when I take the RRS up to Colorado this year to tackle the Alpine Loop. This works for me but might not be necessary for others.

Here are a few pictures of it in action with the new tires:

At top of hill in extended height mode
View attachment 193178

Water was too deep for me
View attachment 193186

Coming down a hill I shouldn't have been coming down but made it without a scratch
View attachment 193194
Awesome! I'm dying to do the Alpine Loop in mine once it's repaired. Having a hard time finding where the starting point is though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You can start in Silverton, Ouray or Lake City depending on where you are coming from. I generally add in a trip to Telluride via Ophir or Imogene Pass, both great trails that are challenging but won't beat your vehicle up. My wife's LR4 made the whole trip without a scrape - except the sidewall mentioned before on day 1 - and we didn't need any help over any of the obstacles.

Get yours repaired and enjoy what these things can do with little modification.

·
Registered
283 Posts
You can start in Silverton, Ouray or Lake City depending on where you are coming from. I generally add in a trip to Telluride via Ophir or Imogene Pass, both great trails that are challenging but won't beat your vehicle up. My wife's LR4 made the whole trip without a scrape - except the sidewall mentioned before on day 1 - and we didn't need any help over any of the obstacles.

Get yours repaired and enjoy what these things can do with little modification.
Ah, I was confusing the Alpine Loop with that route that goes from Crested Butte to Aspen

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
81 Posts
I am shopping for an l494 sport and am coming from an lr3. For The l320 sport and lr3 it was figured out that a 265/65/18 tire was the biggest that could still allow the vehicle to move in the event of an EAS failure and the vehicle lowering to bump stops while out on a trail. It was argued as to how big of an issue this was. The l494 is new enough that this hopefully hasn't happened to anyone yet, but does anyone have any thoughts or input ? It would be easy to test with an IID Bluetooth tool. im not talking about access height I'm talking about vehicle being lowered down to bump stops. Thanks

·
Registered
283 Posts
I am shopping for an l494 sport and am coming from an lr3. For The l320 sport and lr3 it was figured out that a 265/65/18 tire was the biggest that could still allow the vehicle to move in the event of an EAS failure and the vehicle lowering to bump stops while out on a trail. It was argued as to how big of an issue this was. The l494 is new enough that this hopefully hasn't happened to anyone yet, but does anyone have any thoughts or input ? It would be easy to test with an IID Bluetooth tool. im not talking about access height I'm talking about vehicle being lowered down to bump stops. Thanks
Simply put you'll probably be screwed, but hey, looking cool comes with risks, thats why not everybody is cool.... At the same time risk of suspension failure like that on the newer ones is prob pretty low.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
81 Posts
Thanks t0pgear, I agree the risk is pretty low - but I go into remote locations enough where I like to have an understanding of the vehicle and its limitations. These things are so computerized now that learning how to used an IID tool and solve problems related to the ecu, eas, etc., is mandatory in my opinion. If anyone else has thoughts let me know. If not, it's easy enough to test one by lowering it with the IID tool if anyone feels like it .

81 - 100 of 111 Posts