RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's amazing how much a new heated windscreen costs for a 17 year old vehicle. My recently acquired 2000 with 120,000 miles is in amazing cosmetic condition.
She came to us early December with a dead switch pack, broken right side sunroof mechanism, lazy headliner, and a broken windscreen. I’ve fixed the switch pack (thank you Marty NZ for your guidance), but the prices for the other items was staggering - even if I did the headliner myself (I've done half a dozen...). Hundreds of US$ for the sunroof guide (those Turkish things look like too much work), and nearly 1-large for a windscreen, so I just went out and purchased a 2001 here locally with a blended V8 (20 deg. Play at the crank!) for about $400US less than the installed price for a heated windscreen (6 bills for y'all that're math challenged).
What I didn’t know until I picked it up this morning was that she has:
1. New headliner 500 miles ago (looks amazing – mine’s saggin’)
2. Perfectly operating sunroof (so I'm told. She's sitting in the correct closed position - mine's not. Packaging tape is sealing things now).
3. Nice window switch pack (it’s the newer part number, so now I’ve got a spare Marty NZ!)
4. 500 miles ago, the following were replaced!
a. New Compressor (Land Rover purchase!)
b. New Valve Block (Land Rover purchase!)
c. 4 new airbags (yes, he purchased them from the dealer too – OE)
5. New Bosch Alternator – 800 miles back
6. New Battery 800 miles back (but mine’s fine)
7. New Starter 800 miles back (yes, Land Rover dealer...)
Looks like I got a good deal. Wheels are perfect, and the TOYO tyres are at 80ish%, Car’s complete other than the blended lump I left in his garage. Body's a big rougher than our "1-ding" White rig. My girl kind of hoped the Black one would be worth saving, but I'm thinking it's just what I bought her for - parts-n-spares.

Now: When I put the battery in, and turn the ignition: Nada, Nothing, Zilch.
I'm not getting something right. Regardless, Anybody know a trick for where to put 12V in so I can open the hatch/tailgate? I'd like to get to the rest of the rig!

Black and White.JPG

·
Registered
343 Posts
See to get the hood open, I managed to do so with a fork-type of rod from underneath up along the radiator to undo the catches.
Need some luck to do so.
Tony.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Or take a 13mm ringspanner, wrap it with isolating tape and undo the startermotorlead to put 12 V on it so you can unlock the car.

·
Registered
559 Posts
It should physically unlock with the key, unless the latch rod is broken or disconnected. Then you can easily open bonnet for charging.

If drivers door latch is broken nut battery 12V ok, then take door card off & short the CDL switch wire to ground to activate the tailgate latch.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
With a bit of luck you can remove tailgate carpet panel with minimal damage and manually operate latch arms to open hatch.

·
Registered
559 Posts
F15 on BECM feeds 12 to tailgate motor. Tailgate motor is grounded via tailgate switch, and drivers door lock. Hence if you can access the BECM & front doors, then you have the connections required to power the tailgate motor from an external 12V source.

Attachments

·
Registered
771 Posts
You can always reach up and put jump cable to the starter motor ( be careful) check it's not touching anything else

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone for the tips. Starter motor and Fuse box tricks have me on the right path.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Orange. You've been a source of help on my journey (remember the switchback advice...)

I'll try the power to the starter, if I'm unable to do that, I'll crawl back there and peel the carpet back. I've read this somewhere before, but was trying to just activate the button if I could. Lazy...

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The lower hatch carpet is slotted into the trim panel at top and held in at bottom by plastic screws. The carpet's bonded onto a fibreboard backing, so don't just peel or the backing will still be there! Sort of bending in the middle on the horizontal axis, with the aim of getting it out of the top trim panel is the way to approach...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The lower hatch carpet is slotted into the trim panel at top and held in at bottom by plastic screws. The carpet's bonded onto a fibreboard backing, so don't just peel or the backing will still be there! Sort of bending in the middle on the horizontal axis, with the aim of getting it out of the top trim panel is the way to approach...
Excellent description. I will also take a peek at he Rave schematic too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts