RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
136 Posts
seat covers

It's been a long road putting on these seat covers. Most of the time lost was due to my various foibles and duties. But a chunk of the time was doing it; many more details than you might think. One more session for the details and I'll declare success. Overall not as good as original, but pretty good. Using a local upholsterer probably would not be any better, and it would cost close to a grand including the material. For me, I made the right choice. Here are some pictures. I'll post a link to a dropbucket as soon as I do it.

Those of you who have already started the process, PM me cuz I've got lots of tips!

geneo

Attachments

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Re: seat covers

Is this through Lseat.com? I'm waiting to get mine back but i'll be letting someone else put them on.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

yeah, these are the Lseat covers I was talking about. having a pro put them on is a good idea. what are they going to charge you; if you don't mind. it really wasn't that hard after the first one. the wrinkles can be soothed out to some degree; but some of it comes from the covers just being a little big in some places. the headrests were the hardest by far, big stretch.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts

yeah, these are the Lseat covers I was talking about. having a pro put them on is a good idea. what are they going to charge you; if you don't mind. it really wasn't that hard after the first one. the wrinkles can be soothed out to some degree; but some of it comes from the covers just being a little big in some places. the headrests were the hardest by far, big stretch.
I didn't ask yet, but I'm worried about ripping them and getting them on right, especially after the struggle to take them off. I can imagine getting them over the headrest was difficult.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

no way they are going to tear them, they are tough/well made. the seat back and bottom just roll on, but you have to hog-ring the seat rod to the rods in the covers. sometimes that is a tight location. even the arm rests roll on nicely; then there's the headrests. all the trim/plastic bits under and around the seats were crusty, cracked, ungluing, so that took considerable time to mend. you'll have to do that stuff yourself.

when are your covers due back?

·
Registered
372 Posts

I am still waiting for a swatch...... they told me they shipped it like 2 weeks ago

·
Premium Member
310 Posts

no way they are going to tear them, they are tough/well made. the seat back and bottom just roll on, but you have to hog-ring the seat rod to the rods in the covers. sometimes that is a tight location. even the arm rests roll on nicely; then there's the headrests. all the trim/plastic bits under and around the seats were crusty, cracked, ungluing, so that took considerable time to mend. you'll have to do that stuff yourself.

when are your covers due back?
supposed to get a photo or something tomorrow. it's been 4 weeks but also the holidays. I'm worried about screwing them up myself so I'm hoping to take them somewhere so I don't waste that investment. I'm sure it took a while.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts

I am still waiting for a swatch...... they told me they shipped it like 2 weeks ago
good luck with that. They don't seem to be very fast. But you know how the world works: fast, good, or cheap- you can only have 2 and i'll take the last two.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
Got my seat covers back from lseat today. It took about 7 weeks for the whole process. Seats look pretty amazing, have a small pebble pattern it looks like. The colors don't match at all though. My seats were a gray? these are a light brown.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Got my seat covers back from lseat today. It took about 7 weeks for the whole process. Seats look pretty amazing, have a small pebble pattern it looks like. The colors don't match at all though. My seats were a gray? these are a light brown.
I just got the swatches last night... lol took over a month. What color did you get? my seats are tan-ish, but there does not seem to be a close corresponding color.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
It took them about 4 weeks to create a pattern from my originals and deliver new finished covers. acceptable time to me. I did not specify a color, I just told them to match my originals as best as possible; and they are a bit off, but plenty good enough. Nothing on their website looked closer.

Here's a link to many photos, not in good order; sorry. https://goo.gl/photos/4gMBg9D6qcSgYRcS7

make sure you get a good hog ring pliers and rings. Harbor Freights' pair is not good, as it does not open far enough. also they don't sell rings, just the pliers. dumb
pay close attention to how the plastic bits attach to the underside of the seat BEFORE you pull them loose; take pictures.
removing your first seat back is the hardest part, aside fighting the headrests.

I'm very happy with mine. The wrinkles worked their way out already. But the best part is the smell of fresh leather every time you open the door! Worth the price of admission.

·
Registered
372 Posts
It took them about 4 weeks to create a pattern from my originals and deliver new finished covers. acceptable time to me. I did not specify a color, I just told them to match my originals as best as possible; and they are a bit off, but plenty good enough. Nothing on their website looked closer.

Here's a link to many photos, not in good order; sorry. https://goo.gl/photos/4gMBg9D6qcSgYRcS7

make sure you get a good hog ring pliers and rings. Harbor Freights' pair is not good, as it does not open far enough. also they don't sell rings, just the pliers. dumb
pay close attention to how the plastic bits attach to the underside of the seat BEFORE you pull them loose; take pictures.
removing your first seat back is the hardest part, aside fighting the headrests.

I'm very happy with mine. The wrinkles worked their way out already. But the best part is the smell of fresh leather every time you open the door! Worth the price of admission.
hey I sent you A pm - maybe i could ask them to mimic your order color------ shoot me a message... maybe your name or order date, and ill see if i can get them hook me up with the same color.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Ok - your order was in S14 - Bisque. I am ordering the same for me!

Thanks!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I believe I have Lark, from the look on my monitor. I didn't ask them. The pictured they provided does look Bisque, but the real thing looks much more like my photos.

·
Registered
372 Posts
agreed... i gave them your name, and they said thats what they used... so ill give it a go? either way its better than rips

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
I'm admittedly color blind, I couldn't tell you what color they are other than brown. sorry :/ i'll have some photos somewhere eventually.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Guys another thing to consider. these seats have been in your range rovers for almost 30 + years. the colors have most assuredly faded over that time.

But your new seat covers look great. i need to have my front seats redone. Luckily my RRC has pretty much had tint on the windows it whole life, so the colors are pretty close to original. Do they have the dark brown? My has the dark brown interior in it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Guys another thing to consider. these seats have been in your range rovers for almost 30 + years. the colors have most assuredly faded over that time.

But your new seat covers look great. i need to have my front seats redone. Luckily my RRC has pretty much had tint on the windows it whole life, so the colors are pretty close to original. Do they have the dark brown? My has the dark brown interior in it.
If you want i can post a photo of the swatches.... the thing they sent me is missing one.

Took them a few weeks to get me the "free swatches" by way of mail.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts

yeah, that's what I was thinking with mine. But don't call it 30! she's only 27!!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts