RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Late last year I started to get a metalic noise from under the bonnet, mainly when the engine was under load. I took it to the local dealer who said it was the air con clutch at fault and the cost of replacing the air con unit and regassing would be a £1000.
Not being flush with money at the time I declined the repair. I removed the air con drive belt and ran the car without it for a few months - this gave me peace and quiet but without air con.
With the spell of hot weather we have been having I decided to look again at the problem. I read up on air con and found out that the gap between the front pulley is critical. If the gap is too small it can result in what the air con manufactures call clutch chatter. I removed the front pulley from the compressor ( a very easy job) and inside is a spacer washer. I tried 3 different thicknesses of washer until I got one which worked perfectly. I have just completed a 500 mile trip and everything worked great and with no noise. Cost of the washer - one penny.
I hope this helps others with the same problem.
Mike

·
Registered
236 Posts
This is the type of DIY information we need on this forum. Thanks.
Stewart.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts