RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a p38 and I’m having a electrical issue that only affect the a/c, radio, and cigarette lighter. I’ve replaced both the stereo and climate control, along with the fuses and fuse box and but doesn’t solve the problem. They both get power which confuses me more. The back story is that the person who owned it before me had dropped a penny in the cigarette lighter and that’s what caused the problem. I’ve suspected a burnt cable but haven’t found any signs or evidence of that.

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
247 Posts
It'll help if you explain the problem you're seeing a little more in depth. Are they blowing fuses, not powering anything, no sound, etc...? What year rover? 4.0 or 4.6L?

·
Super Moderator
1,911 Posts
On a pre-99 P38, HEVAC, radio, EAS display and brake lights get their power from Fuse 17 on a White/Orange wire from the only connector on the back of the BeCM which you get at from the rear footwell. That can burn the contact and cause a high resistance connection. Usual symptom is the radio and HEVAC going off or the display dimming when you use the brakes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2001 4.6 and it’s not blowing fuses, the climate control screen turns on but nothing shows up; stereo doesn’t get power I don’t think, and the cigarette lighter doesn’t either. I’ve checked all the fuses unless there’s some hidden ones and they’ve all looked good. I still have to see if the cables are providing power. I’ll post more later after I’ve done my tests

·
Super Moderator
1,911 Posts
On a post-99, supply for the radio, HEVAC and cigar light all come from fuse 8 via Relay 7 inside the BeCM to the same connector on the back of the BeCM. Check that fist for signs of burnt contacts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There seems to be no evidence of burnt wires. But the cables aren’t getting power so idk
On a post-99, supply for the radio, HEVAC and cigar light all come from fuse 8 via Relay 7 inside the BeCM to the same connector on the back of the BeCM. Check that fist for signs of burnt contacts.

·
Registered
407 Posts
is there power on both sides of the relay & fuse?

·
Registered
407 Posts
Actually sorry, it looks like you've discounted those

·
Super Moderator
1,911 Posts
If there is no power with the ignition switched on at pin 6 (white/Pink wire) on C1276 at the back of the BeCM or at pin 5 (Green wire) on C1290 (12 way white connector on the side of the BeCM next to the transmission tunnel), and fuse 8 is good, then the problem is with Relay 7 which is inside the BeCM. As Fuse 8 is a 30A fuse it is quite possible that a short circuit at the cigar lighter could damage the relay before the fuse blew. Ideally you need to get hold of a power board from another BeCM and swap them over. If you change just the power board then there is no reprogramming needed, That is only necessary if you change the logic board.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so is there a special way of removing these relays because they’re quite tough to remove
If there is no power with the ignition switched on at pin 6 (white/Pink wire) on C1276 at the back of the BeCM or at pin 5 (Green wire) on C1290 (12 way white connector on the side of the BeCM next to the transmission tunnel), and fuse 8 is good, then the problem is with Relay 7 which is inside the BeCM. As Fuse 8 is a 30A fuse it is quite possible that a short circuit at the cigar lighter could damage the relay before the fuse blew. Ideally you need to get hold of a power board from another BeCM and swap them over. If you change just the power board then there is no reprogramming needed, That is only necessary if you change the logic board.

·
Super Moderator
1,911 Posts
This isn't a relay in the underbonnet fusebox that is removable, it's a fixed relay inside the BeCM, the Body Electrical Control Module. the big aluminium box under the RH front seat. They are soldered to the power PCB, the top board inside the BeCM and you may be able to find a pin for pin replacement but you are looking for a 20 year old component that may well be obsolete. as said, your best bet will be to find a BeCM from a breaker and swap the whole board over.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts