RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a RR Vogue 2003, I've driven it once for about 500 meters. 118K miles on the clock. 2 owners. UK import. :sad:

So far in the 2 months I've owned it I've only driven it once. It's been towed to an electrician, with alarm issues, then to a mechanic for a service, now it's at a range rover mechanic, had both shocks and compressor replaced, then I go to pick it up and it's got a major water leak and they've had to pull out and replace all of the carpet.

All of the repairs on the car will now cost me pretty much exactly what I initially paid for the car. What makes it worse is that I can't sell it due to it being financed. :-?
I should have listened to my own advice and bought a newer model. She was so beautiful I couldn't resist. The devil wears prada........

However the quote goes it's a true one! Haha "Making mechanics out of owners since...."

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
694 Posts
This is par for the course.

All of mine needed work before being driven. I just made sure to enter into the experience with my eyes wide open :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Unfortunately it look like the owners before you may have paid a lot more attention to outside than the inside. Sorry for your dilemma. Hopefully you wont have any more surprises..

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a PPI done, the only thing it came back with was that it had a EAS issue, which I was fine with.

Exterior was in ridiculous condition, hence why I got it wrapped, the guy who wrapped it said "It went from zero to hero overnight" then as soon as I took it out of the shop it went back to a zero again with all of the issues haha.

Oh well, I hope I'll be able to enjoy it soon!

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIV / L405
313 Posts
Arghh. Did you do a PPI AND a test drive? Any brand can have its lemons. I have a good OBD scanner and can turn a wrench. Thus my decade of RR ownership has been relatively pain free. The forum is a gold mine of information.....but you have to search for symptoms etc.

Example: I had a airbag light coming on. I reset the light but it came on with in a few miles. I searched here and found something about a yellow wire coming out from the battery. Turns out I had a wire break by the battery.....and it was yellow. 10 minute fix for free.

Besides brakes, tires and front sir suspension bags (normal). Im in for nothing but a coolant hose. Not bad for a a 2005 with 69k on the clock.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sometimes there are things that you just can't account for. I bought mine with full LR service history, but I've still had a couple of large bills - Alternator went and the day after I got it back from that, the timing chain guide went too. That was just under £2k in effectively 2 days. You have to remember that even though you pick them up reasonably cheap, they still have the repair bills of a £60k car!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I agree with most of the replies, PPI and thorough test drive is a must. I had in addition a retired automotive instructor with me as a 2nd pair of eyes. I also realized that RR is a high end brand name and as such the maintenance and parts follow the same train of thought.

Here in the US we have the CARFAX report , also invaluable to document the history of your vehicle fr accidents and major repairs.

The preventive maintenance or service history on the vehicle is critical. I have had my share of large bills, just did the timing chain change and valley pan gaskets service for $4700.00 parts included ( I supplied the parts to avoid the dealer mark up which is substantial)

These vehicles are quirky about but at the end of the day you do have a solidly and well built vehicle.
Hope your luck improves man
Sincerely
Lou
PS
This forum is invaluable for the quality of the help!!! KUDOS

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
You said you already knew about the EAS problems... so the shocks and compressor should not have been a surprise at all.

What is a "wrap"? Could that have anything to do with your water leak?

·
Banned
901 Posts
you don't need a PPI, just don't buy an 03-05.  I'm sorry OP I'd cut your losses now, sell it and get an 06 or better.  I know you don't want to hear this, but it's sound advice. 

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,719 Posts
No it's not. Yes the first gen have some pretty big issues. however they are also terrific rigs if the niggles are worked out. She has already done the major bits, has the rig looking how she wants it and has a financial tie to it. Selling now would be absolutely fool hearty and a waste.

·
Registered
315 Posts
No it's not. Yes the first gen have some pretty big issues. however they are also terrific rigs if the niggles are worked out. She has already done the major bits, has the rig looking how she wants it and has a financial tie to it. Selling now would be absolutely fool hearty and a waste.
Agree wholeheartedly!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Agree wholeheartedly!!
I agree! CLIFF don't be a hater. Telling someone to cut their losses is not the advice we come here for. No need to pour salt in the wound. I have an 03 with 141k and it's been great. I love driving it. So there! LoL

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Of course I took it for a test drive, I'm not a complete dummy haha. I also have the complete service history and all looked fine too. The only issue that came back with the PPI was the EAS issue. He said it only needed a strut and ended up being a much bigger issue.

& no the wrap was applied after I bought the vehicle, it's a vinyl wrap which is an alternative to getting your vehicle painted, so in no way could it be related to the water leak.

But thanks everyone! Hopefully my issues will end soon haha. I wish I could sell it and just buy a newer model but it's subject to finance so that's out of the question! As soon as I've got it running problem free I'm sure I'll enjoy it :)

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Good luck with the issues. I had my '04 for a many miles and it was great. Don't worry about the people telling you to sell it, that would be foolish IMO because you'd take a huge loss by investing in all those repairs and then handing off to someone else so they can get all the benefits from them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts