RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys

I am looking into P38A range rover, and start to learning one by one through this forum by reading many useful infomation

I always hesitated to buy a range-rover because I hear many hypes regarding problems with it;

however, this forum really gave me strength, and I am sure I can find any solution through this forum

so.. I am looking into local RR mostly private owned... I dont like to deal with dealers..

so anyway, I found this reasonable RR 1998 it has about 140K miles.. with 4.0 Engine

and my question is; Is 140K too high-mile to buy?

I mostly see 4.6 in this forum, and is it because 4.6 is better or more reliable?

better off to pay about a grand more for 4.6 over 4.0?

what's the biggest difference in those two engines?

Please help me out so I can make right decision...

thank you

: )

·
Registered
23 Posts
I can`t really advise you regards which engine to go for but I got ours last december after many hours reading through this site I got myself a list of what I thought were the most important things to look for in a range rover P38 and started my search,I eventually found one a 4.6 hse running on LPG and in my mind the most important thing a FULL AND COMPREHENSIVE SERVICE HISTORY plus the purchase receipt from 1996 of £44,400, I must admit It nearly scared me off when I saw how much the previous owner had spent but if you saw what he had renewed I just couldn`t refuse it. so all I will say is do your homework dont rush into the first one you see don`t buy a number plate if you know what I mean something a little older may have had a lot of the problems resolved, I couldn`t go back to a car again and I`ve had a few 4x4s but nothing to match the RR, FINGERS CROSSED I won`t get too many problems ,non up to press :shhh:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
if you live on the coast then the 4.0 is fine otherwise you may find its a slug at hgher altitudes
The 4.0 is 4000cc engine vs the 4.6 which is 4600cc engine, the 600 cc's is a notable difference when driving

The P38b can cost a arm and a leg if it gets into the wrong hands of ownership or repairer, if you are going to do it yourself I hope you know what you are doing, I've seen many DIY repairs on these vehicles that brings a tear to me eyes

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys, that really helps.

I do live on a coast, but I dont want to drive sluggish car : )

the Previous owner said he had alternator changed recently and he said that all he can think of as a major repair.. (finger crossed)

anyway I will look around : )

thanks

·
Registered
701 Posts
Mine has 165k on the clock now... I've had to do quite a few little odd jobs on it here and there, due to neglect by the previous owner. Using good oil and going light on some additives (trusted ones) seems to really be bringing my range back to life. If you like getting involved with a vehicle and really understanding what makes it tick. I would highly recommend a range. If you are a forget about it and beat it up kinda person. Go buy a honda or equivalent.

A rover will test your patience, but once you get to know each other things will go smooth. I remember a week after I had it, I used a generic ground for the battery. The temp needle went to red when I was leaving our neighborhood and the battery went completely flat. I was scared I just ruined the car. My mom was with me at the time and her idea was "lets push it home, its ONLY 900ft away...." That lasted about 3 min. I walked home and got my other car and towed it home, meanwhile everyone on the golf course was laughing at us and pointing. At home I replaced the cable with the old one and 15 min later roared right passed the people that were laughing and I was laughing at them while they looked in aw lol. Sorry, just had to share...

I haven't ever driven a 4.6 rover, the 4.0 is pretty sluggish. However, I am used to slower vehicles, so it doesn't bother me. That and the view and comfort and prestige kinda make up for it.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Viper has made a very fair summary. We have the 4.0. Just turned 149,000 today. Recent emission test and better than when we got it. You should be ok to 175,000 or more before "engine" work required if no overheats. Ally V8 who I respect a lot has noted a bit of a preference for the 4.0. A slightly shorter stroke and yes less power. I don't have a desire to boot it all the time [due to fear of extra expense] so the 4.0 is ok and it will cruise at 80. We have the bosch set up which is supposed to be less quirky. I do believe a few key things were sorted on the bosch units, and so far no significant issues on ours. I had no prior info but it seems that , so far, things were mostly done well by po's. Good luck with your search,get a manual, and continue reading.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I just bought my P38 in December after months of contemplation and test driving. I was originally looking at purchasing a Disco, but then realized the Rangie is almost the same price if you get a good deal. I like the exterior and interior of the Rangie much more than the Disco. Overall, it is cleaner and better looking in my opinion. This forum and the rangerovers.net site had tons of useful information. Most all the big issues that plagued the early years have been worked out my Land Rover at the end of the run or the folks on this site have figured them out. The costly repairs to the EAS, head gaskets, HVAC, heater core o-rings, etc have been dealt with and many fixes are just a couple hundred $$ instead of a couple thousand $$. My rides like a dream with the EAS intact. You will find most on this site swear by it and if the Rangie has coils, it has been 'castrated.' I definitely understand the sentiment and now rebuild for the compressor ($60) and EAS (<$100) makes maintaining them much easier. But I also see why many people have converted to coils to eliminate the troubleshooting and possible breakdown on the trails.

Read as much as you can on rangerovers.net to be fully informed on your decision. Be sure you are mechanically inclined and are willing to put the time into fixing it because you will lose your house if you have to pay a dealer to maintain the truck. Don't jump on the first one you see, there are plenty out there and many can be had for well under 'Blue-book'. They guzzle gas. no getting around this one.

If you want a truck that make you smile every time you walk up to it, then get a Range Rover. You almost need an emotional connection in order not to go bonkers. I knew this and don't regret it. I have a 4Runner for my wife, which is a great reliable truck and doesn't require the vigilance that my Rangie requires. But it also doesn't have the history or driving experience that my Rangie provides.

Here is a good quick guide for things to look at in a P38:
http://www.mez.co.uk/p38.html

As far as a 4.0 vs 4.6, they got the extra displacement from a longer stroke. I have heard some 4.0 owners wishing they had the 4.6. Overall gas mileage, is not much different. In 1999, they went with Bosch electronics which afforded slightly better gas mileage (1-2mpg) and some would say more reliability. I have also heard that the previous GEMs might be easier to work on though. By 2001-2002, most of the earlier electronic woes were worked out and they went with four wheel traction control. I would definitely avoid 95 and 96 as these years were plagued with new model issues.

Try to find one with maintenance records. Also, be sure the interior is in very good condition. In my opinion, if someone can't take care of the interior, then there is no way they cared enough to take care of the mechanicals. These trucks require preventative maintenance.

Be patient. There are lots to choose from.

So far, I love mine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts