RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I need some expert advice before I attempt to start tearing stuff apart and this is the place to look.
To start I have a 2006 RR HSE LUX w/4.4 AJV8 and 112750 miles on the clock. I have poured over many threads trying to narrow down the engine noise I have. After watching countless videos and reading through many posts on here I am now fairly certain the noise I have can be attributed to the tappets. The engine when started from cold is quiet. After it reaches operating temp or running for a few minutes I begin to get a rev conditional 'tap' coming from the right front and the left middle of the engine. Now, I can hear people already say- "loose exhaust bolts?, Timing chain tensioner?, wrong grade oil?" to which I can reply - Tight, tight (intact) and Castrol Edge 5w30 with genuine filter. The issue is the vehicle has had the noise since at least 63,000 miles from previous owner. The sound isn't getting any worse but I do want to keep this vehicle and don't want to create more damage so the argument of " well if it's been going on this long why mess with it?....." is something I might brush aside because I want to get it right. My Range Rover sounds like an old Honda Civic.

The biggest question I would like to get help solving is this - Does the AJV8 have HYDRAULIC VALVE ADJUSTMENT TAPPETS or are they a solid type with replaceable shims? The BMW engine prior had the Hydraulic type and if the oil was not changed frequently enough it could easily gum up that tiny little hole. I am curious if that same problem could be this issue on mine??? Seafoam and Marvel treatments have not changed any of the sounds although if it's that clogged only replacement would fix it. I need a Technician who is familiar with the AJV8 or that has done this type of service to see if I'm going down a rabbit hole here or what?

Thank you all in advance for any help,

Jeremiah

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
They have replaceable tappets, not shims, there are 50 different sizes from 2.950 to 3.685 mm with increments of .015 mm in those 50 steps (they are pretty short) and basically a solid steel puck. You have to measure the clearances between the back side of the cam (the round part) at each lifter location before you remove the cams, and then measure the size of the tappet there now and figure out what size shim you need. The inlet cams have specified clearances of .18 to .22 mm, and the exhausts have a specified clearance of .23 to .27 mm If you are outside of those measurements then you need to make up the difference with new tappets. There may already be different height tappets installed in there from the factory so that also needs to be taken into consideration. It's not a quick job unless you have access to a ton of these tappets in all different sizes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mark, that's awesome - Thank you! That was just the info I was looking for. Real quick- does it need to be done with the engine warmed up or cold to check the lash?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Doesn't specify, but I don't think you could dig down to them before the engine cooled off. The workshop manual is based ore on rebuilding the engine from parts not doing the job as a preventative, or maintenance job. The base valve tappet number is LR037205 and it replaced 4624031. I think these are 2.950 tall Have no idea what the part numbers are for the other over or undersize ones are, but this is an expensive job. They list for about 10 bucks a tappet, and theres 32 or them, plus all the gaskets and other parts you need to dig down to them.
Pages from Part 303 Engine-2.jpg
Pages from Part 303 Engine.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, this sounds like the perfect place to start. Theoretically I should only have to replace any of the tappets out of spec - I hope to god its not all 32 :lol: - but yes, you are correct. That is why I wanted to be sure this was something I was going to commit to with the appropriate knowledge beforehand. I really appreciate all of the help! Too bad I just sold my Classic as she was my "backup" during projects like this. Guess I need to plead to the wife that I need another one!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts