RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I start my 1990 classic up I notice the electric hydraulic pump runs for around 20-30 seconds to build up pressure before the red brake warning light goes out.

The truck will exhibit this behavior any time it sits for more than about an hour. I also notice the pump kicks on after 2-3 brake applications. Is this normal or is it a sign of something like a weak accumulator? I find it hard to believe that when new the truck would take so long to build up pressure and have the light go out on a cold start, but then again I never owned one of these trucks new!

I dont have any other issues with the system, (ABS is fully functional), but I am worried if the pump is working harder than it should that I might experience premature failure of the system which I know is not a cheap one to fix. Would rather do some preventative work to it now to prolong the system.

How long does your classic typically take to build pressure and extinguish the light on a cold start?

-Christian

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
at 28 years of age and use of said booster pump it is a miracle it only takes 20 seconds to fully pressurize. it is completely normal for the system to represurize after 2 or 3 pumps.

at this age and if the booster pump is working i/e building pressure, the next suspect is the accumulator. it is available but somewhat difficult to find in the us, you may have better luck sourcing from a uk vendor.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
at 28 years of age and use of said booster pump it is a miracle it only takes 20 seconds to fully pressurize. it is completely normal for the system to represurize after 2 or 3 pumps.

at this age and if the booster pump is working i/e building pressure, the next suspect is the accumulator. it is available but somewhat difficult to find in the us, you may have better luck sourcing from a uk vendor.
Thanks, fortunately I found a replacement accumulator over on LRdirect. They ship from the UK to the US, pretty reasonably priced too.

https://www.lrdirect.com/RTC6498-Accumulator/?keep_https=yes

Do you find your classic takes some time to build up pressure as well on initial start?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
indeed LR direct has been my go to lr pats supplier for a while, simply due to parts availability and low shipping costs.

I have never timed my classic, but does pressurize faster than my 2k p38. the pedal is firmer on the classic and has never had pump work,
the P38 on the other hand, I have replaced the accumulator with a known good unit which made it pressurize faster and gave me a good but not firm feeling brake pedal. it has the braking feel of a discovery, for lack of a better explanation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts