RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So new to LR community...my 2011 RR Supercharged I picked up a few months ago has this squealing/hissing sound coming from inside the cabin. I took it in and the mechanic thought it was the HVAC recirculation doors not sealing anymore or sealing improperly.

The car is still under warranty until August, but my SA said its was not covered under warranty...doing a little googling, this looks like a common issue. Any one know what gives on them not covering it? I was really unhappy with my SA and the quality/care I received with him for some other issues, so he may just be dismissing me.

I am mechanically inclined so I could do it myself...sounds like I need to pull the glove box out, (if it doesn't take 12 hours...its just a noise at this point).

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So after doing some more messing around and driving, Im not convinced its coming from the HVAC...sounds like it might be more like a seal leak somewhere. With the AC/Heat off, anytime I get over 30mph, the whistling type sound starts, stays there even with open the windows, cracking the door, etc. Also, seems to be coming from somewhere around the driver's side near the firewall area. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this same issue, also in a 2011 Supercharged. I've been trying to track it down for some time but haven't found anything yet. It seems like the car chooses to close the recirc. doors even when the button is on fresh air if the temperature gets above a certain point. The sound is worse if a window or sunroof is opened and sometimes goes away after the cabin has cooled down a bit. Like tlow, I feel like the sound is coming from the driver's side firewall behind the dash somewhere. The noise is not present at all if the air source is fresh and the temperatures are lower. If anyone has any insight on where to look, it'd be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
631 Posts
My truck had similar noise when I got it. Someone had but an aftermarket windshield in. Just replaced it recently with the pilkington glass and the wind noise is gone.

I hear the windshield and seals can cause noise. Check that out.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4 Posts
Hi guys, wondering if you ever tracked down an answer to this? My 2011 RRSC has the same noise. All it takes to make it go away is to turn the A/C recirculation switch off, so I surmise that the flap is not closing completely to shut off outside air and causing this whistling noise. Sort of reminiscent of blowing over the top of an open pop bottle. Any time I've dug into the dash of a vehicle it seems like it never went back together quite right, so I'm hesitant to dive into this. Any way to reset the position of this flap so that it seals completely/tightly? Thanks,

Lowen

·
Registered
2016 Range Rover Sport HSE
67 Posts
Any update on this? Mine does this as well, I can get it to stop if pressing defrost and hear a swoosh of air upon pushing the button.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Good morning all, any update on this? I am having the same problem. Exactly at 25mph it starts. Sometimes it will stop by itself and sometimes I can make it dissapear activating the AC. But sometimes nothing works. Thanks

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,165 Posts
It's usually the seals around the outside air vents under the cabin filter. Just take the cabin filter housing off under the hood. The whole thing comes off with just a couple of bolts. After that you can see the two outside air flaps that open to bring fresh air into the inside of the cabin. The seals around those flaps leak sometimes and makes a whistling/hissing noise at highway speeds.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Mark, thanks. Can you please explain me the mechanics of these are flaps? When are they activated? The noise I hear seems to appear ramdonly. It is somehow related to the A/C, but it starts only after 40mph or so. Actually sometimes at highway speeds you can hear it lower or it could just dissapear. I believe it is related to the A/C as sometimes if I press the A/C buttom it can suddenly starts or stop (not always). Thanks

·
Registered
327 Posts
Link to related thread here .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts