RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a book symbol and my blower output is substantially reduced. If I remove the fuse by the passenger side seat and "reset" it, The fan output work great for a little while then when I turn the truck off and back on the book symbol returns and fan output is once again reduced. I do have hot and cold air but fan output is very poor under this fault. What can be causing this problem?

TIA
Hector

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,419 Posts
What year model? Give us the VIN (leave out the last couple of numbers if you like).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 1999 HSE 4.6
Vin Number: SALPV1447XA4259
Last 2 numbers left off.

Thank you.
Hector

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
The only real way to find out why the book symbol is being thrown is to hook into a diagnostic unit (test book, rovacom, autologic). The HVAC head unit goes through a small diagnostic check when you start the vehicle and is seeing something it doesn't like and could be reducing the fan speed accordingly. It's usually something pretty straight forward to fix, but you need a diagnostic unit to get started.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

The problem might be with the carbon brushes from one of your fans. The symptoms you describe are consistent with one fan not operating. Both fans discharge on a common manifold towards the blend flaps that guides the air through the heater or evaporator. If one of the fans is not running the air takes the easy way out which is through the not operating fan and very little air is actually going through the heater or evaporator towards the vents in the cabin. The best way to test this is to switch to recirculation and check in the foot wells. If you have in one of the footwells air blowing from the recirculation suction then you know that that fan is not working.

I have had these sympthoms and when driving over a bump in the road the not operational fan would suddenly come on and all would be ok until the next time of starting up. I changed the carbon brushes 6 years ago and alltough I had to change one of the fans because of malfunction again, the other one is still going strong.

I have made some write up and posted some pictures on how to dismantle the fan and change the brushes.

Best regards

Jos

1 - 5 of 5 Posts