RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover P38A
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drivers side LH Blower motor issue.
The Blower does work when strait 12v is applied to the main Red/Black leads on the Blower, not via the 4 prong connector, so Blower works.
When 12v is introduced to the 4 prong connector, Hot & Ground, no Blower.
Checked every fuse under passenger seat and under hood, all fuses okay.
The RH Blower operates normally.

The 4 prong connector has the 2 main 12v leads and 2 smaller wires which I presume are feedback voltage to an ECU.

This is where I'm stumped, any suggestions where to look next are joyfully welcomed. It's super hot here in the south!!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
46 Posts
I just went through a similar scenario with mine two months ago. First the passenger blower, then the driver side. Both were stuck on one speed below Max. The issue could be the resistor/speed control unit on the blower assembly itself (the heat sink thing at the top of the unit). LR does not appear to sell this separately -so, three options. Buy a new OEM blower (if still available), or buy a good used blower. Third option is that it appears a resistor unit from a Citroen XM is identical to the one on our trucks. Try searching for part number 62928311 and you’ll see from the images. I wound up buying used blowers (took a few tries) as it seems the resistor packs are not readily available here in the states. Next resistor pack that fails I will attempt to order one of these to try. Folks have tried to rebuild them in the past from what I’ve gathered. I would have done the same but was unable to locate updated specs for the components on the circuit board. Good luck!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to post that meter voltage at the 4 prong connector only reads ~.040v from the main Hot & Ground. That is why I wondered if there is something else impeding me getting power at the 4 prong.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just replaced the blower motor and nothing - only .04v at the 4 prong connector.

Any other ideas on where to look next?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Look on you tube for RSW Solutions blower motor.
Storey is a member here and takes apart the motor and shows how it works. It helped me understand the system. I’d check the nearest junkyard for another blower or two. If I’m a hurry eBay. If you have time order new ones from LR Direct.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I assume you checked RL 7 and RL 8? In the fuse box??? Relays can stick open or closed. I had a few do that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You sir were correct, RL7 was smoked. Replaced and LH Blower is now functioning. Thanks for the second pair of eyes, sometimes that's all that needed.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Well good. But bad also. My 2002 started having some issues. Check the fuse box where RL 7 plugged it. Is it discolored or brown at all? Mine was showing age pretty good. I bought a brand new fuse box and relays from LR Direct and replaced it in one afternoon. Saved a lot of headaches down the road. Best $250 I’ve spent yet. FYI you might want to do the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts