RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2003 range rover a couple weeks ago and I'm hearing a humming noise at low rpm or low speeds. If I put it in sport mode or manual I don't hear it. It also happens when climbing a slight hill (but it also happens on flat streets too). I just recently changed my own oil and filter with mobil 1 synthetic and it seems to have helped a bit because it doesnt start humming until about 5 miles after the car is warmed up.

I can't tell where the noise is exactly coming from but it sounds like sometimes it's from the front engine compartment but sometimes it sounds like it's towards the trunk of the car.

If it helps to diagnoise the problem, when the car hums and I let off the gas pedal, it stops immediately until I step on the gas again. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Evoque
339 Posts
Sounds like bearings, possibly wheel bearings. I've had 2 LR2's with similar issues caused by the bearings in the rearend. It will hum under load & heat causes expansion.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
27 Posts
from what ive been reading its worth checking out if its the torque converter. theirs a thread on it. i might be having the same problem

1 - 4 of 4 Posts