RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
We all know the hum created by all RR s. I bought mine new at 90k km. It creates extra hum sometime. I first heard at traffic thought it was fan noise. But not a constant fan noise,increasing when i accelarate. i experienced also when engine was cold too so hesitated about fan.
Any ideas?
By the way the ride is awesome!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
adara said:
Hmm, that's not the noise, te viscous fan is more like a woosh...
No the sound is like woosh u r right.
But fan noise increases at acceleration as in radio buzz.
I tried to explain that.
No mods on electronics.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,783 Posts
Okay, we have a whoosh and not a humming... remove the fan and take it for a short drive. Your viscous coupling could be playing up thus causing the intermitent nature. Is it weather dependant? Is it worse in cold or warm weather?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i cant tell if weather effects since i bought it last week.
i first realised as i was in traffic.
but i heard the noise also when i roll off in the morning too.-i keep it indoors
so i cant tell it starts when eng. temp. rises.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Are you experiencing a low humming noise from the front left side of the engine?

I have a similar problem, it happens when the vehicle is stationary and sounds almost like a whirring.
It seems to be especially bad when it is cold out and I can also hear it when the engine is off sometimes.

I dont know if this is the same problem, but its annoying for me!

·
Registered
62 Posts
DeBeere said:
Are you experiencing a low humming noise from the front left side of the engine?

I have a similar problem, it happens when the vehicle is stationary and sounds almost like a whirring.
It seems to be especially bad when it is cold out and I can also hear it when the engine is off sometimes.

Hi DeBeere,

Is your RR a TD6?? If so check to see if the noise is coming from behind the battery.
If it is then sounds like your pre-heater/webasto? My own made this noise, so i took it to LR and they replaced the heater for free under warranty. Now noise gone!!

Good luck......

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DeBeere said:

hi
No that s not what i experience.
It is like additional fan working-a little noisy though.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Exhaust leak? You do know about the exhuast issue right it causes a crack in the exhuast. Leaking exhuast can sound like a whooshing sound. Someone would need to clumb under there and inspect for leaks.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nsxxtreme said:
Exhaust leak? You do know about the exhuast issue right it causes a crack in the exhuast. Leaking exhuast can sound like a whooshing sound. Someone would need to clumb under there and inspect for leaks.
No i dont think because it is not a continious noise.

·
Registered
140 Posts
paultuk said:
Hi DeBeere,

Is your RR a TD6?? If so check to see if the noise is coming from behind the battery.
If it is then sounds like your pre-heater/webasto? My own made this noise, so i took it to LR and they replaced the heater for free under warranty. Now noise gone!!

Good luck......
Yea it is, I reported the problem numerous times to my stealer and they couldn't find/be bothered with the problem. Now im out of warranty, so its not that annoying.
How much would one of these go for?

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its definately your viscous fan,just had mine replaced the wooshing noise was like a jet turbine.viscous fan was just over 220 quid from main dealers and 55 quid to fit at local garage.my car sounds awesome now.
ps: the way to check if it is the viscous fan is drive for a few seconds at 3 to 4 thousand revs then wooshing noise will clear.but as soon as your car gets to a juntion the wooshing will start again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts