RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 RR began making a "clicking" or "knocking" at the left-rear wheel after jacking it up to remove the wheel. Apparently something came loose somewhere, a spline popped out or a retaining ring came off or something.
But to get to the problem, I need to remove the "shaft hub nut" from the rear half axle to detach it from the hub.
Can anyone tell me what size socket I need to do that? It looks like a 1-1/2" or 39mm or 37mm, but I can't tell which. It's a 12-point and I'll try to attach a pic...

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - hopefully someone else can confirm.
I'll have to check that. I thought I had a 32mm 12-point, but the biggest metric I have is a 27mm. It looked a bit more around 1-1/2 inch or 37mm or 39mm, but I may have been mistaken.

It would be nice if Rave would include what tools are needed for a task.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
399 Posts
03rangiemark - 36mm 12point

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Rovah - I found that out today when I found that Lowes had metric 12-point sockets from 32mm through 36mm for much less than the auto parts stores.
Now I get to try to pull the hub/shaft joint to check the splines.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,190 Posts
Don't under any circumstances hammer on the end of the spline when driving it out even with the nut on the end of the shaft protecting the threads, the shaft on the CV joint is pretty soft metal and it will mushroom just enough so you will never get it back in. Use a 3 claw gear puller hooded around the end of the wheel hub (requires removing the brake rotor) and you will still probably have to run a metal file thru all the teeth on the axle to clean up any burrs that are on there.

Check for play in the lower control arm bushing that connects the hub to the control arm, when they wear out, along with squeaking like and old bed spring it will slide forward and back on the bolt and make a clunking noise under breaking and acceleration.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks very much guys, I appreciate all the great tips!

Thanks for pointing me to the control arm bushings, Mark - I haven't heard any squeaks, but it is getting worse at a momentary ratcheting noise under heavier acceleration.
I hope there isn't too much damage done, but it's only recently gone from a suspicious "what was that" to an annoying occasional worry to a more frequent ratchet.

At worst case, I hope it would be a hub & half shaft replacement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts