RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am unenthusiastic about paying 500 per hub assembly. I would like to rebuild mine. I am not terribly enthusiastic about aftermarket options I have seen so far, because the brand and quality of bearings used them in unknown. I have reputable sources of genuine Timken bearings under 100 USD.

I have read that you need a 60 ton press for pressing these bearings. I can get a 50 ton bottle jack for short money and build a frame myself. Unfortunately 60 ton is 10x more expensive. Will a 50 ton do the job?

Has anyone tried using heat on the hub body and liquid nitrogen on the bearing? I had success with this method elsewhere, I never did an LR hub bearing that way.

Any other advice, like rebuilders that do a decent job and use quality bearings would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Save yourself a lot of grief and swearing, front, https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/axle-parts-front-axle-c-5_120_121.html?page=2&sort=3a or https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/front-assy-ftc3243g-p-27181.html, rear https://www.island-4x4.co.uk/rear-assy-allmakes-ftc3223a-p-27885.html. With the strenth of the dollar against the pound these days, they aren't that much more expensive than just the bearings and a lot simpler to change.

If you really must do it the hard way and change just the bearings, there was a step by step instructional page on the main site but we've lost that now......

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have done them with a 6 ton press , if they have been cooked then you will need a hefty press . just take them to a mechanic (that's the hub ). I also made a piece to fit inside the bearing so you could press it out without distorting he hub.(a cross piece that fits inside the bearing or similar you will see if you get that far) you press the inner out first and then the outer don't forget the retaining clip on the outer

·
Registered
846 Posts
Just removing the axle nuts on P38s are a chore. I agree with Richard G on this one. Buying the assembly is worth it.

If you're concerned about quality of bearings, I don't think you really have to worry about it as long as you source an OEM variant. I replaced both front hubs last year, and pleasantly surprised to find decent quality bearings in them.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Mine was real tight, my own 30 ton press couldn't get it out, needed a 50 ton one, pressing it back in went pretty easy

·
Registered
333 Posts
Just removing the axle nuts on P38s are a chore. I agree with Richard G on this one. Buying the assembly is worth it.

If you're concerned about quality of bearings, I don't think you really have to worry about it as long as you source an OEM variant. I replaced both front hubs last year, and pleasantly surprised to find decent quality bearings in them.
I took about a meter of steam pipe (about 40mm), welded a socket what fits on the nut, on the other side (180 degrees) of the socket I welded about 20cm of steam pipe.

You put the socket on the nut, a jack under the piece of pipe, and the nut comes of real easy, weighing 100kg helps too I guess ;)

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
I got my bearing out with a (cheap) 20ton press. But is was quite a battle!
50ton should be plenty, most important is a frame that provides good support to the hub zo you don't distort it.

Filip

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I went down the same route earlier on this year. My front ball joints and wheel bearings needed replacement.
I already had a 20 tonne bottle jack and a long length of 6" steel channel in the garage so I decided to build my own hydraulic press. I regretted it. I stuffed my back up and by the time I built it, for the cost of the steel I could have bought a cheap Chinese press. It worked out more than £150 uk as I remember. I also had to weld up a steel box structure to hold the hub in the right position when pressing and I also had to buy a set of mandrels.
I did 4 hubs in total. I had to put a long bar on the jack handle so it was actually more than 20 tonnes, I would guess around 30 tonnes to get them moving. I also bent a 1/2" plate at the top of the press so it was quite some force. They came out with a bang and it was quite hazardous.
I tried freezing a hub assembly then applying a propane torch to the outside of the hub. It didn't make much difference. I don't have access to liquid nitrogen unless you are talking about one of those plumbers freeze kits.
I did use a proper penetrating oil and left them overnight which worked better.
At the factory, I think Landrover used Loctite on the bearings and it bakes on if the bearings start to fail and get hot. Just a theory anyway.
Bearings ...... I bought a few different types and I found the cheap ones are just ball bearings. May be OK for a year or two. Timken are double roller bearings. I don't think anyone else makes the same size roller bearings. You get what you pay for imho.
I suspect if you buy a cheap (ie non factory) hub assembly it will have been made in India using cheap ball bearings.
You takes your choice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts