RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my next jobs is to connect all the ht leads up to the relevant spark plugs.

This is probably a simple question so apologies in advance, but how do I knwo which lead goes to which plug? I've searched the RAVE manuals with no luck - I can hardly find a mention about them.

Is it as simple as the length of each lead will only reach the correct plug?

·
Administrator
27,822 Posts
The coil pack is stmaped with each cylinder number

·
Registered
448 Posts
starting from the top left going counter clockwise 6174 on the left coil pack and 8532 on the right coil
google is your friend as my son keeps telling me
Tony

·
Registered
517 Posts
You don't say which system you have Bosch or GEMS - the coils are different.
The easiest way is to remove one lead at a time and replace it - can't go wrong that way.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I did this about a month ago and I changed one at a time and tied a knot in the old cable after I had matched it up to the corresponding new one (length) its slow but safe

·
Registered
128 Posts
On the GEMS coil pack the numbers are stamped on to the black bracket that bolts it on to the engine, but they are hard to see......well it is a Rover :roll:

Sid.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's GEMs engine, I hadn't noticed the numbers on the coil pack so will examine further! It does seem a daft place to put the coil pack.

I didn't remove the plugs, the top end of the engine was in the back of the car when I bought it!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
sotal said:
It's GEMs engine, I hadn't noticed the numbers on the coil pack so will examine further! It does seem a daft place to put the coil pack.

I didn't remove the plugs, the top end of the engine was in the back of the car when I bought it!
Top end of motor in the back of car...I wonder why.
Nothing wrong with coil pack on back end of engine, looking at it where else would you have put them.
I do these vehicles day in day out so Im used to them

FRONT

1 ---- 2
3 ---- 4
5 ---- 6
7 ---- 8

Coils
(stamped on bracket)

1 goes to 1, 2 goes to 2 etc

Good HT leads shouldnt read more than 8k ohms with meter set at 20 k ohm setting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts