RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello fellow RRS enthusiasts,

I've been a member here for a few months but this is my first post!

I'd been trying to make up my mind for quite some time regarding the my RRS order. I started out with putting a pretty well optioned out HSE on order, and eventually changed my mind for a more modestly optioned out SCV8 Dynamic which I still currently have on order. I fell in love with the SCV8 after driving it and hearing how fantastic it sounds!

My salesman just phoned me today to inform me that the new V6 HST is now available for order. I am now once again thorn between the V6 and the V8. Overall, with the exception of the black satin 22'' wheels that I think I could get used to, I love the aesthetic improvements the HST has to offer, even over the SCV8. I love the painted side door sills and bumper corners, I love the autobiography seats and color tones, the gloss black trims and Satorini roof, Brembo callipers and TFT screen. I also love the fact that I could option the HST a little better than the SCV8 for less money!

My dilemma come when I consider the driving performance. I'm having a difficult time understanding why the HST does not offer the Extra Duty package that is offered on the HSE models. From what I can understand, the HST offers the Adaptive Dynamics and also offers a new Terrain Response Dynamic Program instead of the Terrain Response 2 that comes with the Extra Duty Package. However, I don't seem to see anywhere that the Automatic Terrain Response is offered on the HST. Also, if I base myself on the pictures and videos of the HST's interior, I do notice that the ''AUTO'' is missing from the terrain selection knob... Does this mean that the RRS does not automatically adjust the terrain response based on the detected terrain when the terrain selection knob is pressed down?

Also, I wanted to ask you guys if you think the missing Torque Vectoring on the HST will be noticeable enough to disappoint the driving experience. I've driven both the regular HSE V6 and the SCV8 Dynamic and while the HSE is great, the SCV8 is obviously more exciting to drive.

Any additional information your guys have regarding this issue or any advice you guys have for me would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I wish I could help answer most of your questions. But from an engine perspective, the SC V8 is a marvalous motor. The HST SC V6, is only a few ponnies more than the standard HSE SC V6, with zero/or hardly any additional torque. That alone lost my interest. Do you want dodads or are you going for the motor? You can have an incredible shell, but if the motor doesn't meet the rest, it could really disappoint down the road when the dodad part wears off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I fully agree with you concerning the engine performance.

For the most part, my gripe with this HST is that it frustrates me that a less expensive vehicle with a smaller engine is more aesthetically pleasing inside and out. Maybe I'm alone with this point of view, and although I'm buying the RRS for the pleasure of driving it, I know it will bother me to see a better looking HST on the road.

I know most of you will probably tell me to just get the Autobiography but I just didn't thing the improvements over the SCV8 were worth the extra cost.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Evoque
40 Posts
Totally agree. The hst (possibly underpowered compared to the v8) is a beauty. Red/black, autobiography leather, two toned red/black, highly optioned is a winner.....in my opinion.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
1,076 Posts
Best but not cheapest solution would be to get the SCV8 and have a body shop paint your rocker panels and bumper corners, and have the Range Rover lettering replaced with black. Cosmetic things are easy to fix. What you can't do is put the V8 into the HST, although you can tune the engine I suppose.

If you have the Dynamic package on the SCV8, won't you also have the TFT screen and Brembos?

Either way you'll have a great vehicle to drive.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Best but not cheapest solution would be to get the SCV8 and have a body shop paint your rocker panels and bumper corners, and have the Range Rover lettering replaced with black. Cosmetic things are easy to fix. What you can't do is put the V8 into the HST, although you can tune the engine I suppose.

If you have the Dynamic package on the SCV8, won't you also have the TFT screen and Brembos?

Either way you'll have a great vehicle to drive.
I agree with this, cosmetics are easy, a motor... not so. And even with a tune, you may get hp... but you're not going to get the true platform/experience, downright visceral delivery from it. I've been there before and had deep regrets.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I considered waiting for the HST before I bought my 2015 supercharged but I wanted the power and the awesome exhaust note along with the TFT screen. The only thing that the HST has that I would like to have is the darker headlight housing that is offered in Europe. I would get the SC v8 with dynamic package that gives you the tft screen, red brembo brakes and sport badging, which sounds like the aesthetic priorities you want.

...every time I get into my truck and start the engine, I get a huge smile when that v8 engine revs up at the start. I notice people walking by looking up because it's that distict.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi guys,

Thanks so much for the input!

In fact, the SDV8 has much of what the HST does in terms of aesthetics and so much more in terms of performance!

The only things I'd be missing out on with the SDV8 are a couple of options like the Convenience Pack and the Driver Tech Pack that I did't want to add to my build due to budget constraints. Also, I wouldn't have the body painted door sills and bumper corners, or the autobiography 2 tone seats.

I guess what it really comes down to is: Is the increased aesthetics and the addition of the Convenience Pack and Driver Tech Pack worth forgoing the increased performance of the SDV8 ?

Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi guys,

Thanks for all your help! After much deliberating, I am now 99% sure that I will place my order for the HST. I'm thinking Firenze Red with Ebony/Ebony interior, Sport Textured Trim Finisher and the 22'' satin black wheels. Also, with the cash saved by going to the HST, I think I'll spring for the Convenience and Driver Tech packs.

Any thoughts...?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
stick with the 21" or even 20" wheels for the magic carpet ride. if you're not getting the V8, the 22"s are show only. see if you can test drive a car with 22s vs 20s/21s. and don't forget the audio upgrade, get at least the 825 watts system.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks for all your help! After much deliberating, I am now 99% sure that I will place my order for the HST. I'm thinking Firenze Red with Ebony/Ebony interior, Sport Textured Trim Finisher and the 22'' satin black wheels. Also, with the cash saved by going to the HST, I think I'll spring for the Convenience and Driver Tech packs.

Any thoughts...?

Thanks,
This is a response in the 2016 HST and Supercharged Limited Editions thread.

"So with the HST, Land Rover is not allowing the customer to make any choices, options or even colors. No 22" rims, no tow package, nothing. All HSTs will have the exact same options with only port-installed options available to choose. To make things even better, dealers are told what colors they will get and have no say in the matter or ability to choose. I have had a $2000 refundable deposit at my dealer since the first week in April for the HST to be first in line, only today to find out that they are only getting one and in the color I do not want."

I would make sure you're able to actually customise your vehicle to your tastes, and not just end up with the allocation your dealer receives.

Best of luck and have fun with your order!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts