RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2011 RR 5.0 SC
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know why the official guide for a 2011 5.0 S/C timing tensioner change have you replace a HP fuel line at the beginning? Seems like a random thing to do at the same time unless there's a flaw in the existing line - appears to add a fair amount of work, wondering if it's really necessary at only 55k miles.

·
Registered
2012 Rover Autobiography . 2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / SoldL322
16 Posts
Are you doing your timing chains? I need to do mine and I'm looking for someone to share the tools with

·
Registered
2011 RR 5.0 SC
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I’m just doing tensioners with the official zip tie method as I’m only at 55k miles - I got the crank tools off eBay, after this is done can definitely sell them off (they were around $190). You’d also need the timing tools if doing the full job. I’ll hopefully be done in a few days, taking a few deep breaths before I get started. Pulling the chain through the oil fill shows it’s fairly loose (a great simple check!).

Totally makes sense to pass these tools around the forum as you need to use them so rarely.

·
Registered
2011 RR 5.0 SC
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To answer my own question.. for some sadistic reason I decided to go ahead and do the replacement. Getting off that engine cover is a complete b****, one of the nuts is easy to see but I had a devil of a time getting it off.

Anyway, I assume the reason they want you to replace is the new part has this extra shielding (why don’t they just tell you that) that you can see in the picture.

Instructions are odd as they say to get it in place but not tighten anything up - but also to put the engine cover back on. However the engine cover directly covers one of the screws they say not to tighten... and looking through the rest of the steps I don’t see any reason to leave it loose. So I’m going to tighten it all back up

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,958 Posts
the reason they want you to replace it is because the line has work hardened.

Its a very hi pressure fuel line 2500 PSI and if it gets a fatigue crack, it will spray fuel everywhere resulting in a fireball

·
Registered
2011 RR 5.0 SC
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kind of surprised they didn’t do an official alert to replace it then, rather than just tackling it on to the timing tensioner instructions. I assume the new design with the shielding won’t need to be routinely replaced.

That engine cover is one sadistic thing to install, I’m having a devil of a time getting any torque wrench close, then you have to do another 60 degrees.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
the reason they want you to replace it is because the line has work hardened.
I'm curious what you mean and where this information comes from. Work hardening doesn't occur from the pressure in the line or vibrations in use. To work harden, the metal has to be deformed. This occurs when the fuel line is bent or flared during manufacturing but shouldn't in use. Of course if it was work hardened during manufacturing enough to be subject to fatigue cracks in use, they should have annealed it after cold work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts