RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My RR, though in good condition : mechanic, bodywork, interior and even original painting so well, has the right hand door blocked and the tailgate too.
The right door has been hit by someone's foot and the tailgate locks have suffered a trial to force them.
Actually it is impossible to open neither one nor the others.
Thanks for giving me the right way to open all three, beginning by the upper part of the tailgate.

Many thanks

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
What do you mean by blocked? If the tailgate has damage from a break in you will need to repair the damage to be operational again. As far as the two doors if the lock are damaged or rods have come loose you'll need to inspect to see what needs to be repaired. Can you jimmy either of the rear sliders to be able to crawl in? if not contact a lock smith. They have collections of rods that can get doors opened or the can pop the latch on one of the sliders.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Thanks for your kind answer. Please notice I am no native English speaker, so I give you some more explanations. I can enter the car by the driver's door. About the right door it has been damaged by soemone who kicked it strongly in the middle, so I don't know wether it would be misshaped enough so that it no longer opens. To check this I need to be sure the lock is completely, then push from the other side, rather from outdoors using fro instance an iron builder's prop. The issue with the tailgate is that the ocke has been irreparably damaged by a false key or any a tool, so that I destroyed the locI have now to try to open either pushing some tool in place of the knob, or pulling the rods from inside. Among all existing manuals about the car, do you know which one is the most accurate with sketches about bodywork ? I have Haynes manual, but it is no longer what the ancient Haynes manuals have been. Many thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,
I will order the RAVE manual, but meanwhile I have solved the problem. This maybe useful for other members : I entered into the car, the cut both rivets on the top of the small box covering the upper glass door mechanism, so I could turn the jacks. The left one opened, but the rod to the left one was too rusted. Pulling the whole if finally opened. I have seen that the rods did not lock like on the lower door, but pulled another rod which commanded a system with a wheel, upper, like a side doors mechanism. I will dismantle and rebuild the whole window. Keep you informed, but maybe I will be able to do it only next year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts