RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have downloaded the RAVE, but haven't dug far enough into it to be able to locate how to turn off the immobilizer. I'm working with a neglected vehicle and I have no owners manual for a 1994 Classic. If anyone can point me to one, I sure would appreciate it.

I've got two remotes. When I hook up the battery the horn starts beeping and there is a series of clicking going on in the dash when I turn the key on but I cannot seem to turn the alarm off. I have tried pressing both of the key fobs, but that doesn't seem to have any effect. I have the hood open and all the doors open, if that makes any difference - I just can't seem to get it to stop, which makes troubleshooting the rest of the vehicle darn near impossible.

I know nothing about these vehicles. I have done a search for applicable instructions, but have come up short. I could use some useful assistance.

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Check the door switches to see if they are stuck
I google how to turn off the alarm on a 94 Range Rover classic
Got some good hits

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I checked all the door switches and they seem to operate fine. The central locking button on the console does absolutely nothing, nor do the windows roll down. The headlights don't work but the flashers work fine and the horn works all without me having to do anything! Can't seem to get it to shut off. It stopped for about a minute that incessantly started up again. No amount of keying the remote did any good. The central door lock system, all on its own - locked and unlocked the doors without my input. There is a rapidly flashing red light on the center of the dash and the blinker on the instrument cluster is constantly blinking.

I think I've got some major electrical problems, along with everything else. Since the motor is no longer siezed, I'm going to put some new plugs in it and fresh gas and if it fails to start, I may be at a point where it will leave my premises. 10 years outside with no care by the previous owner I'm afraid this would turn into a multi year, multi thousand dollar endeavor. Don't know if I'm ready for an adventure like that. I just retired this past Friday - I would like to enjoy myself and not agonize over throwing a bunch of time and money after this beast. Of course, I could wake up and change my mind tomorrow...

·
Registered
969 Posts
Congrats on retiring
But don’t give up so quick
If it sat in a field
Mice like to nest in the dash
And chew up the wireing
To get it to start
You could hot wire the coil and run straight power to the fuel pump
For a bypass
Does it turn over

·
Registered
969 Posts
Also since you retire
You are going to have to have projects
The Rover is a one of those get to know you ongoing projects
Even after you get it going
But man when of if you do
At a couple hundred bucks
Your ahead of the game
They are awsome to drive
I’m on number two

·
Registered
68 Posts
To preserve your sanity, I would unplug the connectors to the horns under the hood first. That will let you work on it in peace and the flashing lights will tell you enough about what is happening.

As Mikieman mentioned the system is pretty simple in terms of its inputs.
1. Pin switches on each door, tailgate, and hood tell the system if they open. The hood has a separate switch from the hood light near the windshield washer reservoir. Triggering these switches with the system armed will set it off. If the dome lights are coming on and off as expected then the door and tailgate switches are good. If they are not the replacement switches are cheap and trivial to replace.
2. Each door lock has a switch that is activated by a cam on the key lock. It looks like the picture below showing the back side of one of the handles removed from the door. If the switch in the lock is working the system will arm and disarm as you lock and unlock the doors with the key.
3. The remotes can also arm and disarm the system. I would keep them separate for now to simplify the troubleshooting and focus on getting the system to arm and disarm with the keys and root causing any issues with the cam and microswitch in the door locks.

My 93 manual says nothing about the alarm, but the 95 manual mentions disabling and enabling it buy holding the key in the lock position for 5 seconds. Also disconnecting and reconnecting the battery will not change the state of the alarm. So if it was armed and you disconnect the battery, it will be armed when the battery is reconnected.

Attachments

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you do need a temporary fuel pump supply, you can make a small jumper to connect cigarette lighter supply side to fuel pump supply side in fuse box to get it going.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts