RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little while ago, the local LR dealership replaced the front diff after it had grenaded. When they finished the repair, they sealed the flange with some sort of black / charcoal looking substance; I am presuming this is RTV. A few days ago, I had metal shavings on the drain plug in the axle housing and I needed to investigate if this is left over from the old event or new damage. Axles are out, prop shaft is out of the way. Even pulled the mass damper to have more room to work. But, I can't get the diff to move at all as I can't seem to break the seal. And there's nobody left to call at the dealership to figure out what they used or how they usually split these things and the local club seems to be summarily at MAR. :-(

I have tried different chisels aimed at the flange, "tapping" the housing with a mallet, nothing.

Is there anyone out there who can offer some advice? I'm out of ideas as to how to get the diff flange to come free and I need to get the diff out as soon as humanly possible..

Thanks in advance & best regards,
Christian

·
Registered
517 Posts
place a trolley jack under front edge of diff (but avoid drive flange) and very gently jack up - this worked for me. Beware though the diff is heavy

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You absolutely rock! :thumb: Thank you! Very gentle pressure from a floor jack on the housing only was just enough to break the seal and the rest was easily opened up with a very small crowbar. Diff is out and my worst fears did not appear to be justified, the diff looks brand new, except for a few bits of metal that are present on some of the gears. But, all the gears upon first visual inspection look perfect, zero wear, so, this must be stuff that they didn't clean out of the axle properly when they replaced the diff.

On a positive note, I now know that I need to replace one left CV joint and the ball joints on the drag link! ;-) So, I'm wondering now what is going on, must be the rear prop shaft that is causing the odd vibrations and perhaps the worn CV as well. The boot on the CV is the fashionable two piece edition, as if sliced open by a knife (right side looks like new). :shock:

PS: Thanks for the warning about the weight. I've lugged the diffs from my SIIa around and they aren't exactly light either. But this one takes the cake especially < 12" above the ground. After I rapidly but gently set it down, my language turned rather colorful. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts