RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post, but I've lurked this forum a while and found some great info, so thanks to all the helpful people who know more about the RRS than I can ever dream of. That being said, I'm here to ask another question. I have an 08 RRS HSE that I'm thinking of selling, but I'm curious to find out people's opinions of the best way to sell it for top dollar. Even if I were trading for a new vehicle (which I'm not), I know dealers are very stingy with values. But would they even be interested in purchasing my used vehicle outright? A quick browse to KBB shows private party value in the low 40s, but who will pay that? I looked on ebay and saw many RRS's go unsold.

This is a first time I've even considered selling a vehicle worth this much, but it seems to me that people looking to buy in this price range would just buy new. So I'm turning to fellow rover owners to offer some advice to a newb seller.
:oops: Many thanks

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
You will always get the best price from a private buyer, so if its price that you are most concerned about forget wholesale. Drive around with a 4 sale sign in the window, and try to sell it as local as possible before putting it on a more nationwide advertising network. Make sure people know the warranty is still in effect.

Most of all be realistic with the price. If you spent 10K modding the car to your tastes don't expect to get much, if any of that back, in fact it can make the car less desirable. On stuff that can be taken off and replaced with stock bits that you saved (wheels, etc), do so. Sell your aftermarket chromed 22's separately.

Get the little stuff fixed. Make sure all your servicing is up to date and you have good records. This is very important in a private sale.

Good luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I realize private party is the way to go, I guess I was just curious how most people go about selling theirs. It seems unlikely (to me, at least) to find a buyer with that much cash to spend on a used vehicle, and I was curious about the best way to reach that small market. I did find another post here asking a similar question, so I'll take a look at that.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
opotamus said:
It seems unlikely (to me, at least) to find a buyer with that much cash to spend on a used vehicle, and I was curious about the best way to reach that small market.
Its the same person who walks into your local dealer looking for a used RRS, just like yours. :wink:

Get word out to friends/family...they have friends. Somebody will always be willing to buy from someone they even remotely know vs. a stranger.

·
Registered
66 Posts
gooseyloosey said:
Its the same person who walks into your local dealer looking for a used RRS, just like yours. :wink:

Get word out to friends/family...they have friends. Somebody will always be willing to buy from someone they even remotely know vs. a stranger.
and hopefully you live in an area that is no stranger to $$$ automobiles - you'll have hard time to sell the car to a private party and get the money you want if the majority of the people around you driving $ cars. I live in McLean, Virgina which is just outside Washington DC and we have few spots where people park their use cars when they want to let them go. Few years back I did it myself with a 2003 BMW M5. The car was gone within two days and I got $4K over the trade-in offer.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1098STricolore said:
and hopefully you live in an area that is no stranger to $$$ automobiles - you'll have hard time to sell the car to a private party and get the money you want if the majority of the people around you driving $ cars. I live in McLean, Virgina which is just outside Washington DC and we have few spots where people park their use cars when they want to let them go. Few years back I did it myself with a 2003 BMW M5. The car was gone within two days and I got $4K over the trade-in offer.
Unfortunately for me, my town could be considered a stranger 8~ Come to think of it, I can't remember seeing other sports around town. I guess I just need to get it out there, market it to a greater area that has a little more $. I was thinking about just selling locally, and that's when I realized I would have a hard time finding the right buyers and came here for advice.
Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
168 Posts
1098STricolore said:
gooseyloosey said:

I'm in agreement here. Just curious what spots are you talking about? Like near Tysons mall? Might be useful to know if I'm in the market to sell mine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
lakbum said:
I'm in agreement here. Just curious what spots are you talking about? Like near Tysons mall? Might be useful to know if I'm in the market to sell mine.
I don't know about Tysons but I think that it might be hard to find a good place to park - maybe the parking lot where Circuit City was and park your car near the intersection to the mail parking area.

I parked my car at the Total Wine / Books A Million parking area (1451 Chain Bridge Road, McLean, VA) on one of the spots that near the road so traffic see the car.

Cheers

·
Registered
543 Posts
Croaching Tiger-hidden Hippo.

I believe the 07/08 RRS's are the best model reliability & ownership value wise where consideration should be made to hang on !

There could be tendencies to sell versus the newer model, but after the truck changes hands and is with another owner, you maybe kicking yourself in the nuts for letting such a finer example of the Land Rover stable loose when there's no replacement.

Keep it till about 2013 when the extended warranty is over and enjoy upgrading to the next generation 2 dr Range Rover Sport ?

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Vinni, its good to have you back! :thumb:

P.S.--I know you probably think I'm joking, but I'm 100% serious.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
vinniman said:
I believe the 07/08 RRS's are the best model reliability & ownership value wise where consideration should be made to hang on !
Is this true? What is different about these particular years?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts