RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there!

I'd like to know is there any way to, how to say, revert the firmware and/or software on the 2002 RR CD-based MK3 unit? It seems the previous owner has tried to upgrade it, and has in a way bricked it. Everything works, but Service Mode is in a really basic mode (only 2 choices), and no GPS selection on the display, though the unit is in the back and seems to be working when inserting a random CD.

I read that 3-1/32 is the supposed best fit for MK3 for RR, and you can install it yourself. But i am unable to find the CD. Does anyone know where to find it, and point me to the right direction? :)

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
You can downgrade or upgrade the firmware as you see fit by using any firmware image from the net. The MKIII units do not care. Just make sure you use a Range Rover firmware not a BMW one (which by the sound of it might actually be what the previous owner did?). If you want to reinstall a particular version which is already installed, then you do need to downgrade or upgrade to a different version first since it will ignore firmware discs for the same version which is currently installed.

Really though, I would look for an MKIV nav unit (some technical skills may be needed if it is not already coded for a RR, which it probably won't be), they are much nicer and you can use a single DVD instead of that whole set of CDs. The only thing you lose is the "off-road" mode which I personally never used anyway. Hand held hiking GPS with topo maps is much better off road. Also, the MKIV units are not vulnerable to being bricked if power is interrupted while it is still shutting down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts