RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Gents,

The trim that runs along the bottom of the rear windshield on my P38 had been loose since I bought it and, while going through the car wash, it was pulled off, and then run over by the car behind me. The manager retrieved the part but it couldn't be saved. They were generous enough to offer to reimburse me the parts and labor for replacing it even after I told the manager it was already loose. Since it was already failing I took them up on the parts but thought it easy to replace the clips and the trim myself. These little $2 clips are totally outsmarting me and I can't get them on.

The trim is AWR4314 and the clips BTR6242. I bought both the trim and 6 clips and then cut off the existing clips by splitting them lengthwise with a drywall knife. The idea is each clip fits partially under the glassand has a guide hole that also fits over each pin in the sheet metal and you then slide the clip along the guide. The guide starts low and runs at an upward angle so as you slide it along it pushes the clip down gradually becomes tighter and tighter. The trim then clips into these brackets. This description may be too detailed but that's just how I talk. :)

The problem is I can't get the clips up high enough under the glass to reach the guide hole. I'm hoping that the rear windshield doesn't have to come off to do this. I've tried to put my clips in boiling water to soften them but it doesn't seam to matter.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have messed with the decorative trim and side plastic trim pieces above that, but not the ones you are talking about. I had safelite do my glass and they handled that part.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had the same thing happen to mine. The clips are a major pain. I'm pretty sure I ended up drilling the hole on the side where you start the clip slightly larger than it needed to be so that the lip on the back of the clip clears the glass. Then I used a small block of wood and a hammer to push them sideways into place. Even with making the initial hole larger once they're on they're very secure.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Overview

Close Up of Clip

What I'm calling a pin

The trim goes along the bottom of the glass

My problem

Side view of the clip

You can see the clip is not resting flush to the panel

Under the glass

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the same thing happen to mine. The clips are a major pain. I'm pretty sure I ended up drilling the hole on the side where you start the clip slightly larger than it needed to be so that the lip on the back of the clip clears the glass. Then I used a small block of wood and a hammer to push them sideways into place. Even with making the initial hole larger once they're on they're very secure.
Will try this tomorrow and report back.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Same as top-finisher of the frontscreen, I used a putty-knife to slide them in lockposition, but it's not ideal.

·
Administrator
27,803 Posts
I used a plastic trim paddle to get them into lock posiion and still ended up with one popping free.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts