RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys-
I just replaced my cowl on my 06 sport today for cosmetic reasons. I thought I would share my tips and tricks to make it easier for anyone else who decides to tackle this job.

Step 1: Open the hood

IMG_6089.jpg

Old cowl:

IMG_6090.jpg

Step 2: Remove the small black caps

IMG_6092.jpg

Step 3:
Remove the nut under the cap with a socket wrench

IMG_6093.jpg IMG_6095.jpg

Step 4: Spray a little WD40 on the shaft and remove the rubber trim that goes around the engine compartment

IMG_6098 2.jpg

Step 5: Put some blue painters tape on the windshield right above were the wiper blade sits

IMG_6106.jpg

Step 6: If your wiper arm doesn't budge after you remove the nut, heres a trick to help get it off:

Take a short hammer and wrap a towel around the crow bar part

IMG_6102 2.jpg IMG_6103.jpg

Step 7: Take the hammer and put the crow bar under the wiper arm

IMG_6104.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Step 8: Put a 8mm socket attachment (for a drill) over the bolt

IMG_6101.jpg

Step 9: Take another hammer and hit the socket attachment while pulling up on the other hammer

IMG_6105.jpg

Hit it couple times and it should start to come off.

Once you feel it moving you should be able to pull it out.

Step 10: Do the same to the other arm

IMG_6107.jpg

Step 11: Remove the cowl by pulling up from the middle and working your way out (you should hear the clips pop)

IMG_6109.jpg

Step 12: Clean up your windshield. Using glass cleaner and a razor blade will take off all hard water stains and dirt that was under the cowl

IMG_6110.jpg IMG_6116.jpg
BEFORE & AFTER

Step 13: Removing the A pillar: Take blue painters tape and put it around the plastic clip at the bottom of the pillar to protect it from getting scratched up while using a flat head screw driver to remove the clip

IMG_6143 2.jpg IMG_6141.jpg

Step 14: Once you have the bottom clip out, pull the pillar straight out

IMG_6139.jpg IMG_6140 2.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Step 15: Once you have the pillar removed, put your new cowl into place making sure the white plastic clips line up

IMG_6136.jpg

Step 16: Once all the clips are in, put the pillars back on

IMG_6142.jpg

(If you break any of the yellow clips from the pillars while removing it, re-use the white clips from the old cowl)

Step 17: Put the rubber trim and compartment covers back in

IMG_6146 2.jpg

Step 18: Using the painters tape on the windshield from earlier, set the arms back into place with the blade just under the tape

IMG_6106.jpg

Step 19: Tighten down the nuts and put the plastic caps back on

Looks much better!

IMG_6147.jpg

Hope this will be helpful to anyone,

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Awesome write up. Can we add a link to this in the FAQs?

·
Registered
2014 RRS SC Dynamic Autobiography
171 Posts
Perfect write up on how to replace cowl. I did this last year & makes such a improvement in looks for little money/time invested.

·
Banned
224 Posts
I just did this job with my 16 year old daughter tonight. Here are our notes for others that find this thread:

We did not have to remove the pillar trim. The cowl is flexible enough to slight bow it in the middle so you can slide it under the pillar trim without disturbing the trim at all. That makes this an even quicker job.

We used a piece of plastic sheet about 5"x6" to provide a hood over the part of the fresh air intake fills the passenger floor board with water when it gets past the cowl. We used silicon adhesive to glue the hood and held it in place with a strip of Gorilla Tape so we could finish the job before waiting for the glue to dry. I tested pouring water down the windshield and now it flow around the fresh air intake perfectly. It may be hard to see the clear plastic in the pics, but it's just above the corner of the intake that grabs the falling water.

We bought the new cowl from parts.com for about $65. It's nice to spend not that much money and not a lot of time to make some work better and look better since the old one was pasty white. If this one gets pasty white but doesn't bow, I am just going to plasti-dip it instead of replacing it.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I tried this but wasn't able to remove the windshield wipers. I used some WD40 on both arm mounts and will let them soak overnight, maybe that'll work. Aside from that I couldn't get the little boogers to budge.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts
You'll want to use the picture prying method, but on the round part of the mount, not the arm side... rock the arm back and fourth a bit while doing so. Likewise you can put the hood in the service position and raise the wiper arm perpendicular to the glass and rock the arm back and fourth and they pop right off most of the time.

WD-40 is not a penetrant and won;t do anything to break up any corrosion on the wiper post. You need actual penetrating oil or an aerosol product like "Freeze-Off".

·
Registered
69 Posts
I replaced my cowl and had a heck of a time getting the wipers off. I ended up using a little two-armed puller I found lying around in my toolbox. It comes in handy for things like this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I replaced my cowl and had a heck of a time getting the wipers off. I ended up using a little two-armed puller I found lying around in my toolbox. It comes in handy for things like this.
Interesting. I did the same thing after stumbling upon the same gadget I'd previously used to remove some old faucets during a bathroom remodel. I wasn't successful though because I have this fear of breaking something so I stopped after having cranked it down to the extent I felt it should come off. I'll come back to it tomorrow but for now am soothing my hurt feelings with some Maker's Mark on the rocks. :-(

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts
Ahh Maker's Mark. I keep a bottle in the shop to clarify my raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Crap... I hate when Blazing Saddles interrupts my bourbon.

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts
I can;t help but think if every uptight PC person were required to watch that movie in it original format the world would be a much more forgiving and open minded place... even after 15 schnetzengrubens

·
Registered
131 Posts
This was really easy. I did most of this the way you said however, I used a windshield wiper puller to remove them, as you can do a lot of damage knocking or pulling with a hammer: OTUAYAUTO Battery Terminal and Wiper Arm Puller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076PY8785/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_g14kDbXGWT2VE

Also ran a strip of Ultra-Weather-Resistant EPDM Foam Strip with Adhesive-Back, Soft, 1/2" Wide, 3/32" Thick, along the very edge of the windshield. It sits directly under the top rubber edge of the new cowl.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Seriously gents, can we stay on topic. This post is about the removal of the cowl for two purposes: aesthetics or to stop water from getting into the footwell. "We used a piece of plastic sheet about 5"x6" to provide a hood over the part of the fresh air intake fills the passenger floor board with water when it gets past the cowl." I am dealing with water intrusion into the driver's side footwell and I believe it's coming from this area as I already replaced the boot at the end of the sunroof drain pipe. If anybody from the forum has info regarding this topic that would be something of interest to a lot of us and not so much which K-mart the puller was bought from... '06 L320

1 - 20 of 21 Posts