RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So not too long ago Is started noticing the fabric on my A-Pillars was coming off on my 2006 RRS HSE. It looks awful if left alone, so it's one of those cosmetic things that needs fixing. I asked how to do this a few days ago, and was directed to http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/9-range-rover-sport-l320/33506-inner-pillar-trim-panels.html. The solution to buy new ones is OK, but I would rather not spend $110 if I don't have too, my pillars weren't too dirty, and hopefully this walk-through saves someone else down the line.

First off, lets look at the damage...
2013-09-21 19.37.22.jpg
Notice how the fabric is detached. I assume this was a result of being in the sun too much (I live in Austin, so it get's pretty hot), but another reason could be if you use a solvent like glass cleaner near the pillars.

Here is what you need. I got the spray adhesive at walmart ($9), you also need a T30 star bit (I already had this, but you might as well buy a set that includes a T50 as well, since you need this to change the rotors on this car), also you need something flat to get the "airbag" plastic button off.
20130924_150213.jpg

First, use the knife (or flat head or long fingernails if you get a lot of calcium) to loosen up the cover. Then use the star bit to get in there and unscrew the bolt. I recommend using something that will loosen on an angle, since the windshield will get in the way of a head-on approach. I always though this was something I shouldn't mess with unless I wanted the airbags to deploy on accident, but it really just covers the star bolt.
20130924_142928.jpg

Alright so once the bolt is undone the whole thing should be able to come out. There aren't any other fasteners, but gently remove this piece since it is right on the airbag. Take this part inside for the glue step.

Once alone with the A-pillar trim, WASH YOUR HANDS. If your pillar is like mine, it has grease smudges and whatnot from mechanics grabbing it with their gloves on like savages. Now is the time to clean up the fabric if yours is dirty. You can use spray on spot cleaner or whatever, mine weren't too bad so I just used a damp rag.

Once this is complete, lift up the detached fabric like in the picture. Spray the adhesive in the desired area to coat the fabric, try not to get it everywhere though since this adhesive means business. Seriously, I was expecting glue-stick-like adhesion, but this stuff is actually pretty sticky, so you have to HURRY. Pull the fabric down to the correct area, and smooth out any bubbles with your fingers.
20130924_144346.jpg

Don't worry about drying time, this stuff dries in about 45 seconds.
20130924_144734.jpg

Go back to your car and put the trim back in. Be careful not pinch the airbag, and make sure the black felt trim is correctly over the edge of the fabric. Tighten the bolt, and you're done. Here is the finished product. Total time elapsed... about 15 minutes.
20130924_145425.jpg

Good luck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I hope this works better for you than it did for me. I used the same stuff and it lasted about a month before it started to break away again. I live in MS where it is humid and hot as hell, I would think you will get the same results in Austin TX although with fall and winter coming it may last longer for you. If it does start to break away again, you can order the part off of parts.com for around $43 plus shipping. If you need the part number, let me know. Good luck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahh, if that happens I will let you know. Maybe I should use some heat activated adhesive (like for clothing patches), so when it gets hot it would hold up.

We will see, but yeah i'm about ready for the heat to subside, thanksgiving season is coming up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Word of warning, the fabric came back off after about a month, so this glue is not good enough. If you want to try this I would go for a different type of glue. I'm not a glue master, so I'll leave the choice up to you, I ended up just buying new pillars since I got tired of messing with them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice Post. Thank you. I just bought a 2008 RRS last night and thought this issue was just here in OKLAHOMA>.. Thank you for the heads up

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nice write up.

I just bought a 2008 Range Rover Sport and the seller told me he recently replaced his A pillar covers.

I post this because he tells me that the source of this problem is window cleaner. Apparently it dissolves the glue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For UK: Having previously tried this repair, I used a solvent based adhesive which melted the fabric.....so for the other pillar I used Trim Fix (bought from Amazon.uk, pic below). The question in my mind, is it necessary to completely remove the fabric or just glue back the unstuck parts? What I learned from my previously failed attempt was that the fabric is wafer thin and porous, so you MUST use a spray adhesive. The one I chose is designed specifically for automotive interior trim and is rated to 140 degrees. (I guess that might not be good enough for folks in places like Texas where the suns heat may melt it...) I peeled back the fabric to where it was still solidly attached, and pegged it in place so that I could spray both the plastic trim and the fabric (you must spray both surfaces and leave till touch dry before re-attaching). You need to spray VERY lightly, so I had a few test attempts with bits of paper to learn to get a fine spray. If you get too much on you might get a lumpy uneven finish. I managed to get a spray like a fine spiders web of glue on both surfaces. Even though you can see through the fabric, the glue did not penetrate. What it good about this adhesive is that when you put the tow surfaces together you have a few seconds to smooth out air bubbles and wrinkles before it sets hard. I was able to do this with clean hands. Take care not to have glue on your fingers.

The result: Even though I only sprayed the length of the trim but only to about half the width, there is no obvious point where it goes from previously glued to my repair. Almost a near perfect finish. I say almost as there were a few slightly light discolouration spots a millimetre or so across, perhaps where the adhesive did in fact penetrate, but to be honest no-one is likely to see them, and they may go with time.

I hope this helps, as folks have said this is an easy repair, but they may well be saying that because they are very experienced at fabric trim repair....maybe I have just got fat fingers...good luck!

1570547506174.jpeg

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
I pulled the old fabric off and cleaned up the covers then wraped them in black leather using spray on contact cement. almost 2 years later still holding and looking great.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts