RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) A simple question, How do you remove the speed governor from an 01 4.6 hse? and 2) If I put flowmaster super 44s and high flow cats on my rig with true duel exhaust will it screw up the computor with the new nonrestricted air flow or will the computor adapt to the new values?

·
Registered
517 Posts
nuyorican420 said:
What if you chip it?
call in dentmaster to repaint it before it rusts `)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Mags for the only useful responce to my question. As for the governor, it is even mentioned on the rave I have and I've heard different speed limits for where it has been set so that's why I'm asking the club to see what we've all heard or experienced in the past. When I spoke to Chip at AB he seemed to think the loud noise I heard at 115 mph was the governor shutting the truck down but I can't accept that a Range Rover would have built into it a sound like I heard as a governor. Could someone please explain how I would be breaking the laws of physics? :think: :mrgreen:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts
You say this is mentioned in RAVE. WHich section and subsection? As far as I know there is nothing noted as a speed govenor that can be removed. There is however a choice of 100 or 120 speed limitation in the BeCM settings. No matter how you look at it our rigs are not built for speed or handling. Although I have had mine on cruise at 100MPH between Palm Springs and Phoenix, it is not something I would be doing anywhere but straight open road. Throwing a living room around at that kind of speed, or trying to stop it, leaves alot to be desired. :mrgreen:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts
Speed governor is in the BECM, which I have played with via Faultmate. Mine is set to 120 mph which is the highest it will go. I personally would not want to be in it doing more than that, if indeed it ever got to 120....
I can see it being merry at upto 100, but doubt my CDL would want me to venture there myself. Unless it was in UT or TX where they have some 80mph speed limits :thumb:
I can see no way to totally remove it without attempting to reprogram the BECM.
Martin

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
big-t said:
Thanks Mags for the only useful responce to my question.

That's a new one for me. Normally I'm the one being a little, shall we say, disruptive. 8~

That new baby is making me soft.

STFU NOOB!!!!! There we go. All better.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Jsmooth65 said:
RAVE states a governed speed of 4400 rpm for the 2.5DSE engine. Thats all.
Petrol Variants do have a Rev Limiter incorperated with a Max setting of 5500rpm which the fuel cuts off at. Might be able to alter it using Testbook/Rovercom or maybe possible to do it by re-chipping engine wouldn't really know.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Looks like something I need to look into myself.

I go to Germany a couple of times a year, and always have a stretch of Autobahn without a speed limit. Did about 180kph with Prue before the rebuild of the 4.6, this was on standard size tyres and corresponded to the reading on the dash. I was actually a bit disapointed she didn't have much left at that speed.

Recently I'm finding it hard not to explore the performance limits of Piper with the rebuilt 4.6 mated to the R380. So when a Q5 passed me the other day, I decided to play along and could easily get to 180kph 8). I'm guessing she'll do 200+. This was on 265/75R16s and GPS-speed, with the dash showing about 165kph. So even if there's a speed governor at 120mph, I don't think it will cut in due the larger tyres. But I will try. ;)

Greetz,

Filip

1 - 15 of 15 Posts