RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to remove the reflectors in the headlights and tail lights! Any info if anyone has done it would be helpful!! Tried searching but no luck

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Try searching for "amber" instead of orange and you should get plenty of hits on this forum for front and rear headlight modifications. The front ones are harder as you need to separate the lens from the cluster by softening the glue in an oven, see this thread for a nice writeup: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27574, the rear ones can be done with long needlenose pliers and/or a thin screwdriver (by carefully "breaking" the amber lens through the light bulb socket opening, if I remember correctly...)

·
Registered
225 Posts
umbertob said:
Try searching for "amber" instead of orange and you should get plenty of hits on this forum for front and rear headlight modifications. The front ones are harder as you need to separate the lens from the cluster by softening the glue in an oven, see this thread for a nice writeup: http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27574, the rear ones can be done with long needlenose pliers and/or a thin screwdriver (by carefully "breaking" the amber lens through the light bulb socket opening, if I remember correctly...)

Does anyone have pictures of the rear tail lights after this mod has been done?

·
Registered
225 Posts
umbertob said:
Here is an oldie:

and then you just replace the clear bulb with an amber one, right?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Where can I buy a clear reflecter to replace the amber one when removed?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi all

I am going to do this to my 2005 UK RRS S/C and have a few questions :-

1. How long do the needle nose pliers need to be to get into the back of the light to fish out the broken orange reflector?

2. How much pressure is needed to break them with a screwdriver for example?

3. Are the dimples that can be seen through the lamp until part of the orange reflector that will be broken up and removed?. The picture of the orange RRS looks like the resulting clear area is now more like a shiny mirror than clear lamp. The 2009 doesn't quite look like that does it?

Thanks

Carl

·
Registered
128 Posts

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic. I'm quite happy with mine.

JP

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks for the extra pictures, it helps to see how they will look.

When removing the broken reflectors how long with the pliers need to be?. I haven't got any and will by specifically for this task so want to be sure the ones i get are long enough.

·
Registered
128 Posts
carlos50 said:
Thanks for the extra pictures, it helps to see how they will look.

When removing the broken reflectors how long with the pliers need to be?. I haven't got any and will by specifically for this task so want to be sure the ones i get are long enough.
Standard work fine. Procedure:
remove bulb
hit orange with hammer and punch
shake out small pieces
grab big piece that wont fit through hole w pliers
jam it against hole with pliers
hit with screwdriver/punch to brake big piece into smaller pieces
repeat until all pieces are removed
insert 'chrome amber' turnsignals (note that just Ambers are way too bright w/o the lense).

NOTE: this will scratch the inside of your lens, that will be visible from 1-2' if you know what you are looking for. You need to pry off the outside of the rear light, remove the lens that way, and reseal the light. A much bigger PITA.

JP

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi payne

I have a pair of needle nose pliers that have a 3" tip (6" in total but 3" of rubber handle aswell) i assume these will be ok for the job of getting into the bulb hole and removing the broken reflector?

I definitely don't want to take the lamps apart, i will be careful when breaking the reflectors up to minimise the scratches.

·
Registered
128 Posts
carlos50 said:
Hi payne

I have a pair of needle nose pliers that have a 3" tip (6" in total but 3" of rubber handle aswell) i assume these will be ok for the job of getting into the bulb hole and removing the broken reflector?

I definitely don't want to take the lamps apart, i will be careful when breaking the reflectors up to minimise the scratches.
That will work fine, Your jamming the pieces against the opening then hitting em iwht a screwdrive to break into smaller pieces, you can do it fine with small needle nose.

JP

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm looking for the instructions or results of removing the amber part of REAR lights. I haven't been able to find anything anywhere besides this post and that's something I intend to do on my 2007 RR Sport, thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts