RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 1995 4.0 range rover I'm trying figure how to remove the big nut on the fan I purchased the special wrench i'm not sure if the nut if lefthand thread or not, and how do I keep it from turning while removing the nut.

Any keep would be very appreicated.

Thanks

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
It's standard thread, leave the fan-belt on and the friction of the engine will help. If it slips, a narrow wedge of wood jammed between the crank/WP pulley will stop rotation. Also impact (rubber mallet) works better than just pulling hard.

·
Registered
701 Posts
A large sized crescent wrench will work, and using a rubber mallet as suggested previously, will REALLY help. I think you want to turn turn it the same way the fan normally spins. It is designed so that when the engine is running, that the resistance from the fan tightens the bolt if it becomes a tad loose.

·
Registered
517 Posts
SID said:
Ferdinand said:
I've got this set from Difflock and it's worth the money, although I am in the UK, think P&P out side Europe may be high.

SID.
Yep I have that set as well - makes removing the fan a doddle. The other method I have heard of, and in fact the nut on mine shows signs of this,is to use a cold chisel onto the large nut and give it a good whack, or use air chisel.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I used a set of pipe pliers. Didn't take long to get it loose, about 5 min or so with the whack of a rubber mallet. :D I did not see the point in buying the tool and waiting.

·
Registered
128 Posts
lrscott said:
I used a set of pipe pliers. Didn't take long to get it loose, about 5 min or so with the whack of a rubber mallet. :D I did not see the point in buying the tool and waiting.
Good for you, Although I wonder how many water pump bearings have been killed by hitting the nut with a chisel as AMcK said :think:

SID.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts