Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help - I am trying to do something ridiculously simple. I bought this '95 classic and am trying to pull the head rests all the way off so I can slip over some seat covers. Both headrests are in the lowest position and I cannot get them to come up and out. Any tricks to this? I can get a little movement but the they won't move out of the detent. Thought about dribbling some WD40 down the steel rods.

Is it really just jerk up like hell?

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Recline the seats, get in the back, and decapitate.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
129 Posts
A little Kroil oil, a penetrating oil is an option.

I seem to remember a release button between the two rods at the top of the seat but that may be another vehicle.

Good luck.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
THere are no latches, buttons etc. The detents match up with spring clips. The only reason to use oil would be severe rust inside your seat backs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks - I will proceed - Sounds like pulling the shifter knob off of a DiscoII. Try not to go through the roof when she finally lets go!

I like the back seat idea - give you the opportunity to really give her a yank.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
As a side note, you might have to wack it down to break things loose before you yank on it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
There's a specific tool for removing the headrests. If you try to rip them out and succeed, they will never mount securely again.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Really? Odd that I have popped them out of Classics for years that way and never had an issue. Do you have a link or photo to share of this miracle tool? :)

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
So that would be a "no" for information on this tool?

On my LWB I can guarantee I was the first to remove them. It had been in the family from new and only had 26K miles on it when I installed the sheep skins for a trip to Arizona. The head rests popped right as described above. I am not saying there is no special tool. It jsut seems odd that no body I have talked to since you posted has ever heard of one nor in 20 years of working on Range Rovers have I ever had an issue with removing head rests.

·
Registered
148 Posts
so good to hear from you again Paul. Your experience and vast knowledge will be a boon to this board.

thanks geneo

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK Paul, what kind of tool and where do you use it? Any workarounds? in lieu of the "right" tool?

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
I spent quite a bit of time searching for this tool. THis past weekend a couple of old timer service techs were in our breakfast group and they confirmed that no tool is needed. They had never heard of a tool either. Although this thread did peak our curiosity. If anyone does run across documentation on a special tool let us know!

I promptly forgot about this until it popped back up. There are some pics in post #10 in the following thread. THey show the indentations on the head rest posts and the spring clips they slide through. Again, nothing locks.

http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread.php?18912-HELP-trick-to-remove-headrest

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wound up adding some penetrating oil by dribbling it down the shafts of both seat headrests. I laid the drivers seat back and pushed pulled yanked cussed and wammo-out came the headrest. Tried passenger side and she has not come yet. I will try again. I followed the thread posted in the previous post and just hope I don't wind up pulling the locking mechanisms out on the passenger side.

Tempted to dress up the detents on the posts a bit hoping to make them easier to adjust in the future.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Give the head rest a knock downward. I;ve had a couple that were stubbourn and a quick hit can break the spring clips free.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Were you able to find a replacement Escusion tabs? Mine are broken and the headrest wont stand firm in the forward position.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts