RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some leaking around the front case of my engine and want to replace the sealing. But got stuck in the process when I got to the front pulley on the crank shaft. How do I remove it?
What tools do I need?

I tried measure the dimensions of the head of the screw, 34 mm. Is that correct?

It’s a Range Rover -73, with 3,5 liter v8.

·
Registered
374 Posts
On a 1973 you should have to remove first the manual crank handle starter dog to get acces to the main bolt.

Then it's 1 and 5/16 inch (33.337mm) sized deep socket to undo the retaining bolt (American originally designed engine was always "AF imperial measurements) once that's out it should pull straight off by hand as it's not fitted on a taper to the crank.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Listed in manual as 140 / 160 lb ft ( 19.3 / 22.3 kg M) so pretty tight!

It's quite a balance mass that front pully and you'd not want it getting loose.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you!

Have a new problem now, didnt get any oil pressure when i started it up.
So I did tear it apart again..
Which hole is suction and which hole is pressure from the oil pump? And there is one hole to much too..

·
Registered
374 Posts
I can never remember which one is feed without being in front of one.

Push some stiff wire down one to see which hole goes to the sump pickup point if you need to know. This is probably not the problem though, and so of limited use.

There's a consideration with this engihe when assembling though. The oil pump, if completely empty, will not ordinarily suck up the oil and prime itself as it a "gear" type. It usually needs lubricant inside the gear chamber to start it going, and this is normally made by filling it with petroleum jelly / vaseline to get it started after its been reassembled. Also make sure of oil level and fill the new oil filter with oil before fitting too.

You can, with the distributor removed, drive the oil pump shaft with an home made adapter used in a electric drill to test oil pressure buildup without turning the engine.

Observation ; your cam chain looks to have some wear and should be considered for change while it's apart.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thank you for the information.

I reassembled the engine yesterday and shall try to prime the oil pump with a drilling machine. Is there any way to see if the engine gets oil when running the oil pump with a drilling machine?
Opening the valve cover is the easiest way I can think of.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yes, you should see oil in the valve cover chamber if it's pumping ok.

Also, switch ignition on and get someone to watch the oil pressure light is easy. Disconnect the + lead to the ignition coil while you turn the oil pump to avoid it being left powered without the engine running.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts