RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long Time Lurker figure I would help out my fellow RR enthusiasts.

My issues with Stop Start are many, so I decided to disable the system.

To permanently disable the Intelligent stop start.
Simply remove the right rear interior trim panel in the luggage area, where the fuse panel is located. You just have to reach under and grab the handle and give it a good tug.
Inside you will see a small battery. Simply disconnect the negative lead off the battery. Once the lead is removed. tape it up with electrical tap so there is no chance of an electrical short and tie it so it won't move around. I just used zip ties.

replace the trim cover and enjoy.

No fault codes, no displayed error messages and most importantly NO MORE Intelligent Stop Start

I couldn't find anyone who had done this on a land rover, but it is a very common fix on the Jag's with the same system. I decided to try it and sure enough it works.

Hope this helps those of you were as displeased as me with the system.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,986 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
I test drove a 14 that had it in 95 degree SoCal traffic and every time it did the a/c would blow hot. Very annoying.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Curious, besides the absolute annoyance of the car shutting off and then restarting when you take your foot off the brake....what are the other problems with it? You said "many".

Can you explain?
1. I live in southwest Florida. It is pretty much summer here year round, but May-October it is typically 95 degrees with near 100% humidity. A/C is a must 24/7. When the system shuts down the compressor also shuts down. The vents continue to blow cold only for 45-60 seconds then that is followed by warm air. The traffic lights down here are 3-4 minutes and you can imagine how annoying it can be to have warm air blow on you on a 95 degree day. Also, the a/c system will typically smell for about 30 seconds after it has restarted.
2. EVERYONE, and I mean everyone, who rides in my car and the system shuts down wonders why I just shut the car off when I stop. After explaining it to them and that is supposed to happen, they all say how STUPID that is.
3. Nothing like pulling up to a light and having the car shut off and the guy next to you look at you like your car is broken down.
4. Safety is my biggest concern. On more than one occasion I have needed to accelerate fast from a stop or to miss another driver. If the accelerator pedal is depressed fast enough the car will lurch big time. When the car lurches like that the tendency you have is to make it stop by letting off the pedal. Unfortunately the reason for accelerating fast is still there and you have just stopped accelerating. That is where things get ugly. On one occasion I was lucky the other driver braked hard otherwise I would have been T-boned.
5. I paid over $100K for a vehicle I don't end up liking because of this dumb feature. I understand that JLR is trying hard to adapt to CAFE standards for Fuel Efficiency, but I think they can make the feature optional as BMW and Porsche have managed to do.

I know some people like the eco/treehugger feature and I encourage them to use it. It just wasn't for me, and I didn't want to have to be bothered with it. I spent $100K plus on the car. I should at least enjoy the experience and this feature was quickly eroding my enjoyment of the vehicle.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,986 Posts
Only a hybrid would have beneficial autostop feature where there is an electric AC compressor and back-up hybrid battery to power the system while in autostop. My GLK 350 has the same system and in really hot weather, the A/C is just not capable of keeping it cool.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for sharing, it is a hugely annoying feature that I have been scouring the owner's manual to look for a way to permanently defeat. My 991s and previous BMWs remembered the last setting after you turned off the car so you did not have to press the button to defeat the start/stop each time you started the car again.

My issues with Stop Start are many, so I decided to disable the system.

Hope this helps those of you were as displeased as me with the system.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks for sharing. However, this seems like a long haul for a short gain. Why not just push the disable button? Turns it off and you get to burn 2 calories.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thanks for sharing. However, this seems like a long haul for a short gain. Why not just push the disable button? Turns it off and you get to burn 2 calories.
I have no idea why the original poster would feel this is not the most perfect solution. I have it on my new S550, and my pops has it on his new 7 Series. You push the button - and thats the end of the auto start/stop.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Because getting in and out of one's vehicle and operating it shouldn't be a several step process. That's why we have automatic lignts and wipers ... indeed not many calories or seconds are spent manually controlling those systems but cumulatively it makes a difference. Point is, that we have a choice in permanently enabling or disabling those but not the auto start, and there's no reason why. So if a person never makes use of the Eco feature, the op's fix is most welcome and appreciated.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thank you very much for giving us this option. It is helpful knowing I can disable it completely if I wanted to down the road. And yes, it is annoying when I stop at at an intersection ready to make a left turn and then engine turns off. (or a right turn at a red light) Dangerous.

·
Registered
213 Posts
For those like me who don't own one can you explain what happens when you come to light and stop to make a turn? The vehicle shuts down, the light turns green what's the lag between you pushing the pedal and moving?

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
127 Posts
And yes, it is annoying when I stop at at an intersection ready to make a left turn and then engine turns off. (or a right turn at a red light) Dangerous.
Why is this dangerous? We don't have stop/start on our 2013 RR but I have it on my Mercedes and it accelerates just fine from off with virtually zero delay. I used to disable it each time I entered my car but eventually stopped doing it and now I'm fine and used to the stop/start behavior. I've been assimilated... :)

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
201 Posts
Why is this dangerous? We don't have stop/start on our 2013 RR but I have it on my Mercedes and it accelerates just fine from off with virtually zero delay. I used to disable it each time I entered my car but eventually stopped doing it and now I'm fine and used to the stop/start behavior. I've been assimilated... :)
In total agreement. When comparing the RR to the S550, I would have to say that the Merc is a little less obtrusive, but once I got used to the RR and the total silence when stopped....I'm sold on it. The transition from brake to accelerator has never presented any safety issues and there is no discernible delay

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
Husbands 2014 E63 S has the ECO button that needs to be pressed every time to disable stop/start ... but if you presss the AMG button, then it disables ECO automatically and gives you AMG gearing/suspension ... guess which button I press :)

·
SUPER MODERATOR
977 Posts
3. Nothing like pulling up to a light and having the car shut off and the guy next to you look at you like your car is broken down.
Everyone has their reasons for using or not using the system and your reasons were all good. The only one I really disagreed with was #3, quoted above.

You're driving a Range Rover, why would you care what the person next to you thinks? Do you turn off AHBA because the person in oncoming traffic may think you're flashing your brights when they don't turn off quickly enough? Or not lower the vehicle when needed because the on-looker may think your suspension is malfunctioning?

To me it's just as simple as you're driving a Range Rover, why concern yourself with others?

1 - 20 of 98 Posts