RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I want to lift the entire car off to rotate wheels, what do I do to lock out the suspension so it doesn't try to compensate. I'd rather not leave the door open. Thanks.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
670 Posts
lift to off road height and then remove key. Lift the truck, done.

rafa

·
Registered
543 Posts
Lux.

Pick up a mates forklift, spread the forks below the vehicle chassis and lift truck till all wheels are off the ground ! Then walk around your said RRS "spin'n rims" ?

Repeat the above process on the opposite side of the Forklift and it's your choice if you prefer them rotating clockwise or anti-clockwise for that bling-bling effect.

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
On the raise/lower button on the center console by the terrain slector knob, push it until the "padlock" lights up.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Daemm - as Dave Chappelle would say !

Hehehehe - welcome to the real world. Those 'East Coasters' move stuff "quicker than a snake through a drainpipe", especially if it belongs to those Queer Wees ?

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Yes, if you want to lock the suspension, you put it in access mode and then keep holding it until the "lock" icon shows up. I think the dash also tells you it's locked. I think the manual states to put it in off-road mode when raising your vehicle though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, OK...that was my mistake. I put it in Off-Road before and when raising it, it still tried to adjust. I forgot to make sure the pad lock was lit up.

I think I'll pass on the forklift though HAHAHA.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "the suspensions try to compensate when I lift the car"... The padlock icon next to the switch on the center console switch indicates that the suspensions are locked in Crawl mode (Access height with a twist of lemon), but that won't do you much good when you put her on a lift. The wheels will still drop all the way down - as far as the suspensions can go - when you lift the vehicle off the ground. Might as well start from Off-road height as the manual recommends, you will save yourself some time - plus you'll need the extra clearance under the car to correctly position the posts of the lift. When you lower the vehicle you will be in extended or super extended off-road mode, just push the suspensions button down until the display reads "Normal height selected", and away you go.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Umberto....I have a question from the back of the room.

Using a floor jack, or god forbid, the OEM jack, I was under the impression that locking in crawl mode even with suspension sag there would be less vertical distance to jack up vs. off-road mode, or is that not the case? Or asked another way, which gets the wheel off the ground with less height on the jack, crawl or off-road?

Because in the unfortunate case I need to use the OEM jack on the side of the road, I want as little extension on that thing as possible.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
670 Posts
Extended mode, if you go on access mode the jack has lift the body further before the wheels even leave the ground.

Rafa

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Rafa is right. It doesn't matter which height you are in when jacking up or lifting the car, the suspensions will just keep dropping unrestrained to their most extended state (I guess gravity is a bitch... :lol: ) before the wheels eventually don't touch the ground anymore. So, it will basically take less time - and effort if you are stuck with the silly contraption provided by Land Rover - to start from the highest setting available, which is off-road height.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Basically, jack goes to same height, but you have to work harder if you start lower.

Ok I finally got it--I'm a bit slow today--thanks guys. :thumb:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Can someone remind me what the lockout mode does? Does it hold your suspension setting to a higher speed? I realize RTFM is an appropriate response, but I'm not near TFM right now.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
I have TFM right here on my desk. Crawl mode locks you into Access height at speeds up to 24 mph to drive into low overhead parking structures, etc (if you don't lock it, the car will rise to normal height when you exceed 6 mph.) Every other mode changes automatically at preset speeds and cannot be overridden.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Thanks Uber tomb.

Glad to hear a reference on 'crawl' mode, especially for those new East European electronic car park buildings which stack vehicles in underground storage ramps !

A bloke at the back of the room was missing a day on Wall Street, I think I saw his mates earlier this year on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65sACUcDP0g ?

Cheerio,

Vinniman
'88 Highline
Perth, W.A.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts