RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I too have been trying to figure this out. I have a dog and summer is coming up. Stopping by the store is impossible since he is a 100 pound pitbull. Can't exactly take him in. Leaving him in unlocked car which is running isn't a good idea in Atlanta.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Not rocket science at all, carry two keys. 8-|= One in the ignition and one to manually lock the car from outside and then to manually unlock it. Then again if it that hot, leave the dog at home.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
770 Posts
My car will not lock from the outside if the other key is in the ignition.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
Not even manually. I know the remotes will not work if one is inside.

·
Registered
770 Posts
So how do you "manually" lock the car - I can see that if you have the door open that has the keep hole in it and lock the other doors from the inside and then lock the open door from the outside then the doors would be locked but the tailgate would still be unlocked.

Not trying to be difficult and always keen to learn something new but I am clearly missing something here.

Cheers

Garry

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
I think manually is using the key in the door

·
Registered
770 Posts
My curiosity got the better of me - I started up my car and tried to lock it - note my car is right hand drive so driver side is on the right (doh) and the manual key lock is in the passenger side front (left) door.

1. So car started - as we know you cannot lock the car from the outside with the remote key fob as the other fob is in the ignition.

2. So tried to lock the car with the fob in the ignition and engine running - a fob in the ignition with engine running does not work.

3. Started the car and locked the doors using the dash lock button - all doors lock but as soon as you get out the drivers door it unlocks and stays unlocked.

4. BINGO - IT ALL CAME TOGETHER. Start the car and leave unlocked. For me exit the drivers door and go around to the front passenger seat with the door that has the manual lock in it and climb in - lock the car with the dash switch - all doors lock but the door with the manual key hole will unlock when you open it but the others stay locked. Getting out of the car with the engine still running means you have access to the manual lock from the outside and in all circumstances the manual key lock only activates that one door. So locking it manually with all the other doors already locked just locks the entire car with the engine running.

If in your left hand drive cars the manual lock is in the drivers door then it is even easier - start, manually lock using the dash button, get out and relock the drivers door manually.

Cheers

Garry

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Someone earlier suggested the 2 key fob solution. I leave my spare in the center console. Thus the truck thinks that I am in car. Roll drivers side window down. Get out. Reach in and push manual lock button. Pull up on window lever. Boom! Locked car that is running. Since I have a key fob in my pocket when I go to open door it opens. Boom! :)

·
Registered
770 Posts
Yes that works too.

Different rules for different countries but leave a doggie in a locked car (or your kid) here and you get a window bashed in by the cops and you then get carted away to jail. Unfortunately there have been too many cases of doggies and kids being left in cars and dying.

Also you get busted if you leave your car unattended and running.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
480 Posts
Really simple: leave the dog at home when it is this hot!!

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Plus 1 to jhartz

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
32 Posts
You guys are overthinking this. My method since day 1:

Put window down.
Get out of car and bring key fob
Close doors
Reach in, lock car using central locking switch.
Auto up window.
Done.

Remote fob will work to unlock. Probably only for 2010+

·
Registered
770 Posts
Will not work on earlier versions as the fob is part of the key that needs to be in the ignition for the engine to remain running. However the basic idea works if you have the second key to unlock the door to get back in.

The second fob will not work as it is disabled by having the first fob in the ignition.

I guess we should have determined what model (version 1 or 2) L320 we were dealing with.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Hehe, your all over thinking this. He has a good dog. Leave it running. Leave the doors unlocked. Just make sure the dog can access the entire interior. I have 2 Chows, 80lbs and 70 lbs, go ahead enter the car, home, tent, when I or wife are not around, dare ya.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
480 Posts
Last mutt was a chow shepherd mix. Yep: dare you! Still: leave the dog at home!

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
We travel with ours every year up and down the Eastern coast. Air on full and tailgate open when stopped and they love it. Big fella is 11, still smoking the young one at 5. But yes, do not leave animals or children in hot vehicles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts