RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Bravo! mbp :clap: Thank you for the incredibly clear step by step.

Whatever doubts I had about my skill set to complete this mod have been reaffirmed.

For sure I'll be shipping my headlights to jbrac or you for that matter, price is no object.

Rafa

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
rafa said:
Bravo! mbp :clap: Thank you for the incredibly clear step by step.

Whatever doubts I had about my skill set to complete this mod have been reaffirmed.

For sure I'll be shipping my headlights to jbrac or you for that matter, price is no object.

Rafa

Thanks but its really not that hard I think just about anyone should be able to do this pretty simple from start to finish :thumb:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
If anyone wants there bezels painted my buddy owns a body shop I can see what he would charge to do a set if anyones needs theres done.

·
Registered
28 Posts
great write up....I remember doing something similar on my e36 m3 about 8 years ago before bmw had them oem. brings back memories.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
801 Posts
I am doing this project right now:

I have the adaptive headlights, though, so my outer ring cannot be attached directly around the HID eyeball, but the bezel instead. I also wanted complete rings; not horseshoes. I looked around and found Umnitza Orion Lite LED Halos (120mm outer; 106mm inner). The inners fit exactly inside the high beam pocket, and the outers fit precisely along the low beam bezel lip. I have tested them; they're quite bright, and look great! I got some LEDs to replace the incandescent side marker bulbs, so we'll see what happens when it's all put together.

I'm getting ready to paint my long-term RRS S/C to Overfinch DIY project. It's been an incredibly arduous process to get this kit to fit like factory, but it looks fantastic. I'll update that thread soon.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Has anyone tried this on a 2010+ model year? I can't get the two pieces apart. The plastic is soft enough to nick up pretty bad but they aren't spreading apart at all.

EDIT: I am pretty sure that the 2010+ headlights won't come apart as easily. The glue must be different. On the bottom of the housing, there is some glue that is visible. The oven at 250 doesn't even phase it! It's still just as hard.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
SLO said:
Has anyone tried this on a 2010+ model year? I can't get the two pieces apart. The plastic is soft enough to nick up pretty bad but they aren't spreading apart at all.

EDIT: I am pretty sure that the 2010+ headlights won't come apart as easily. The glue must be different. On the bottom of the housing, there is some glue that is visible. The oven at 250 doesn't even phase it! It's still just as hard.
Nope there the same ur not getting them hot enough and even then there still hard as hell coming apart!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
801 Posts
Huh! I didn't see that problem coming, SLO. I wouldn't have expected the sealant material to be tangibly different. Anyone else have input on separating the 2010+ headlight assembly?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wish I had searched for this yesterday. Great write up. We were wondering why we were not getting ANY power to the parking lights when wired up. We never thought of trying to connect the red to the black and vice versa. Never even crossed our minds. After we gave up trying to figure out what the problem was, we just hooked it up to the fog lights as a temporary solution. (no fog lights at the moment.) Now I get to get dirty again and try reversing the wiring. Does anyone know why they would reverse the wire colours?

Thanks for the awesome write up and pics!

·
LEGACY VENDOR
801 Posts
beattle said:
I wish I had searched for this yesterday. Great write up. We were wondering why we were not getting ANY power to the parking lights when wired up. We never thought of trying to connect the red to the black and vice versa. Never even crossed our minds. After we gave up trying to figure out what the problem was, we just hooked it up to the fog lights as a temporary solution. (no fog lights at the moment.) Now I get to get dirty again and try reversing the wiring. Does anyone know why they would reverse the wire colours?

Thanks for the awesome write up and pics!
Yep - it is goofy. Since LED stands for Light Emitting Diode, it only allows power to flow in one direction (and won't light up in the other). Took me a bit to figure out what the heck was going on as well, since they used the correct color wire, but didn't put them on the right side. :roll:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yep - it is goofy. Since LED stands for Light Emitting Diode, it only allows power to flow in one direction (and won't light up in the other). Took me a bit to figure out what the heck was going on as well, since they used the correct color wire, but didn't put them on the right side.
They probably did it on purpose to screw with us. :) Evil, just evil I say.

As side note: Up here in the great white north.. we spell "color", colour. We love our "u"'s. :mrgreen:

21 - 40 of 88 Posts