RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I would like to thank jabrac25 aka jeff for the halo kit and some info on how to get the lense off. I was a little nervous putting the light in the oven but shipping both ways out to jeff was going to run about $200.00. Which made me quit being lazy since I used to be a custum installer years ago. I know everything about this was very simple but the oven part which now I know is just as easy. I see alot of questions on here about halos and painted headlight bezels so anyone wanting to know this is how I did it. If anyone has anything to add or questions please post it.

First off pop the hood to remove the grille theres 4 tabs along the top you press in along with 2 clips in each corner on the bottom of the grille just pull and remove making sure not to scratch the paint.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To remove the headlight theres two metal tabs on each light on each corner lift about a inch slide forward not scratching the paint and unplug the wiring harness.

Now to prep the light to put in the oven you need to remove these to prevent damage and to remove the lense. These are in no order just the way I did them

Remove the 7 metal clips around the light holding the lense and housing together.

Remove the two ballast on the bottom side there held in place with 3 torx 20 screws each and remove.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now to remove the mounting brackets on the headlight one on each side of the light. One has 4 10mm bolts remove and place to side. The other has 3 10 mm bolts 2 insight and 1 behind the metal clip. Slide the metal clip out to expose the other bolt.

Then you want to remove the 4 rubber vent boots on each light. They just pop right off. Plus remove the turn signal turn and remove.

After this I removed the main harness plug it. Just turn it and push inside headlight out of the way.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After doing this your housing should look like this in the pic.

Preheat the oven to 350 once its warm place headlight instead for 3 mins dont go any longer or do it at your own risk. Place a towel on the ground or something for you to work on soon as you remove it from the oven also besure to place the headlight flat in the oven no leaning on anything or touching the clear lense. Now your ready to do this.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Soon as you remove it you have to work fast use a large blade screw driver and work your way around the housing and the lense like in the pics below which will allow you to pull the two apart they only thing holding the two together is a black tar like seal.

Once apart you will have the housing and the lense with headlight bezel to remove the bezel from the lense theres two torx 20 screws remove and the bezel will pop right out of the lense. Now you need to remove 3 torx 20 screws from the turn signal housing to remove it pics below. Now you can have it color matched.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First off I used red 3m double sided tape to mount everything. This is the same stuff the holds on all the emblems on the cars and trucks out there it works. I cut strips and placed it on the halos and transformer box since this would take some time doing. Also making sure I cleaned everything with alcohol any where there was tape being placed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did the low beam first since it just went right on I centered the ring on the low beam housing and placed the wiring in between the inner and outer housing making sure the wires were flat between the two.

I used the 3 led with mark on the outter housing as the reference point to center the rings on both headlights.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now for the high beam it was a bit harder than the low beam but easy too. Only difference being I drilled a small hole and removing one of the plugs on the harness. First I centered the ring on the housing. Then marked it sharpie directly below were the wires coming out of the ring are at this has to be perfect otherwise you will see the hole when done.

Then I drilled a 1/8 hole in the center of the lip where I made my mark for the wires. You need to do this very very slow otherwise you will screw up. I was holding the bit and drill on the housing making sure it didnt slip or when it made it through it didnt touch the other lense below. Just besure to take ur time theres no point in getting in a hurry now! `) Once done its time to install the other halo but this one however you will need to remove the white plug on the harness coming out of the ring. This is very simple as well all you need is a razor blade theres a plastic tab use the razor to lift and slide the wire out on both sides making sure to mark which side went were. On these the stripe side was on the right hand side of the white plug.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On the halo ring wire the wires come out of the housing there some clear glue pull it off takes a little work but no big deal this allows the wire to go stright down out of the ring through the hole otherwise it will want to loop on you which will allow you to see the wires. now just feed the wires one at a time through the hole. This could be kinda tricky for some but you need to get the wires on the back side of the light housing when feeding them through the hole cause there going to want and go to the inside which is the side with the bulb you want them on the back side so you can run the wire through the housing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now just mount the ring making sure you clean the surfaces with alcohol and center it all up. Then you will have the two wires coming out the back side just push the wires back into the white plug they will lock back in place make sure you put the correct wires in the right spot in my case the stripe wires on the right hand side of the plug.

Now your housing should look something like this in the pic

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now to run the wires and mount the transformer for the halos. I decided to put it were the low beam headlight is at on the bottom of the housing in case if I ever need to get to it I could without having to remove the lense. Just run the wires both to the middle of the headlight. Clean with alcohol the bottom wheres its going to be placed and peel and stick look at pics to get a idea.

Once this is done just run the two red and black wires from the transformer over to the red and black parking light wires. This is were you get power for the halos I checked before hand with my meter and jeff told me that the red and black for the parking lights was backwards. So dont think red goes to red and black to black cause it doesnt you wont get anything. Take the red wire coming from the halos to the black of the parking lights which is your postive and the black coming from the halos to the red of the parking lights which is the negative. You can do so by soldering them which is the only way I prefer its the proper way. T-taps or using them for anything is asking for headaches! Once soldering them is complete tape them with some good electrical tape I use scotch super 33+ cause it sticks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now your pretty much done its time to clean everything and reinstall everything back together. I made sure everything under a bright light that there was no finger prints, dirt, plastic shavings anything at all the lenses looked like mirrors under the light. I had my headlight bezel painted zermatt Silver to match and put the clear side marker lense on which has a tab at the top and peel and stick the 3m tape on the bottom. Far as reinstalling everything else its just in the reverse order it all goes back on just like it came off. To get the lense and headlight housing back together I just placed them together and put them on my chest and pulled really tight sealing them back pretty simple.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Now anyone wanting to install halos or paint there Headlight bezels shouldnt have any problems cause theres more than enough pics to explain everything step by step if you have any questions I will be glad to help anyone on here or if you have any better ways please post. If you want a set of halos contact jeff hes been a member for a long time now and also will be more than willing to help anyone here.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks for the great write up. I'm sure a lot of people will benefit from this post. Moderators should add this to the "FAQ/Read me first" section. Quick question......are the both the low and high beam halos the same size? 123mm?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
RRSupercharged888 said:
Thanks for the great write up. I'm sure a lot of people will benefit from this post. Moderators should add this to the "FAQ/Read me first" section. Quick question......are the both the low and high beam halos the same size? 123mm?

Yep there both the same size.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts