RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the thread:

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/9-...113-how-install-backup-camera-photoguide.html

I described step by step (with photos) how to install a backup camera in the Range Rover Sport licenseplatelight.

To make the camera visible on the NAVI screen you'll need the GVIF (interface) which will transport the signal to the screen.

Here is what I bought:
http://car-solutions.com/en/gvif-interface-for-lexus-toyota-land-rover-nissan-jaguar.php
plus extra cable for Land Rovers:
http://car-solutions.com/en/gvif-land-rover-cable.php

First a correction on my previous thread, there i hooked up the camera directly to the 12 volt in the back of the car, I disconnected this connection and hooked it up to the RIGHT rear backup licht, the cable (green/brown) is easy to find;
1 .JPG

I cut the wire, stripped it and hooked the +12 volt camera-wire to it, now the camera gets 12 volt when the car is in reverse.
2.JPG

A picture of my plan (thanks to flydive and grasshopper);
3.JPG

Because i want to have the possibility to watch the backup camera when i want, so even when the car is not in reverse, i have to make some changes in the + 12 volt line from the reverse light to the camera. I put a diode 1N4004 between this connection, otherwise the backuplight is on when I watch the camera when i'm not in reverse.
4.JPG

The wire goes directly to the +12V of the camera and also directly to the grey wire of the GVIF.
- How does that work?
When the car is in reverse the camera and grey wire got 12V from the backuplight. The camera goes on and the GVIF has a signal and switches automatically to the camera input.

Then you put a manual-switch (on/off) between a 12V (sigaretlighterplug?) and the grey wire.
- How does this work?
When the car is not in reverse and you want to see the backup camera, you toggle the manual-switch. Now there is a signal on the grey wire and the camera also gets 12V. The diode will prevent to let the backuplight to go on. The GVIF will show the backup camera on the screen.

Now the GVIF installation, it's the last version there is in august 2014 = version 7.2.

The following cables are also in the box, but you DON'T need these, so put them aside!
5.jpg

Now the following next baby steps;
Driverseat in front and up position.
Under the driverseat you'll see the navigation.
3 wires are connected to the navigation.
Get the middle one out (use a flat screwdriver to release the clamp)
The new wire that I had to order extra with the GVIF has 3 ends.
One goes in the middle of the NAVI (cable = LRIN)
The second (LROUT) you'll connect to the cable you removed out of the navi.
The third, the white connector, goes into the GVIF (LRIN/OUT)

Here you see the navigation under my front seat;
7.JPG

Then the switches on the GVIF:
6.JPG

UP = OFF position
DOWN = ON position

1 skip RGB connection (part of powercable)
2 use AV1 connection (i've a dvd player connected)
3 skip AV2 connection (you could connect a TV receiver or something)
4 skip AV3 connection (also you could connect a phnone output connection)
5 to select LR
6 to select LR
7 use a aftermarket backup camera
8 doesn't matter

I've put some tape under the GVIF so i can stick it directly on top of the NAVI, mind that you will not cover the holes, they are for airflow/cooling.
8.JPG

I put the GVIF on the NAVI and connected the two white connectors (left = power, right = AVI);
9.JPG

Here a picture when the front seat is in the lowest and back position, tight, but perfect i would say;
10.JPG

Thats nice, but not finished yet! So front seat back to forward and up position. I've connected 4 wires to the AVI connector, 3 for the dvd player (yellow/red/white) and 1 yellow for the backupcamera on the rear-connection;

(see next post)

Reactions: djbonsu

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: How to install GVIF v7.2 to a Range Rover Sport SC '05-'09

oh, I've added the two wires for the AUX input, so the sound of the DVD player can be played over the soundsystem;
11.jpg

And now the power connection, a lot of wires, but you only need a few !
13.JPG

We are done!

The 12 volt connection I now have on a sigaretlighter plug, was easy for installation, let's put it in! (also the AUX connected)
14.JPG

Let's see the NAVI starts up when i turn the key...
15.JPG

And this is what i see when i put the car in reverse or toggle the extra switch (no photo);
foto 2.JPG

Now i put my dvd player on and hit the AUX button next to the radio and push the black button of the earlier called inputswitch;
foto 3.JPG

Well, all works great!
In a short time a new thread, how to hook up a front camera to the GVIF !
Link will be shown down here in future posts....

·
Registered
385 Posts

Good guide.

Unfortunately when I receive a new toy I usually go into "install, install, install" mode.

Then when done I go "should have taken pictures"/:(

:wink:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks!

I usually search for new toys,
Then browse the web for easy picture guides,
Now there were none really good and simple,
So now I tried to make 2 of my own ;-)

Hope somebody has an advantage now...
Or may be pursuaded or convinsed to buy this stuf ;-)

·
Registered
13 Posts

Threads should have a like button. This was extremely helpful, and wil be used when i muster up the courage to try this.

I'd love to see a similar DIY thread on integrating Iphones on L320s with no factory armrest ipod/iphone adapter.
Hmm maybe an upgrade to the factory blutooth module that would allow music and not only phone calls.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

thanks for the LIKE ;-)

I've installed a Belkin Aircast for my last problem.... no phone integration here....
http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F4U037/

·
Registered
15 Posts

Very well done man!

Mind sharing the reason you chose the right tail light as opposed to the left one? Do you have a right hand drive rrs?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks!

1. the cable is there, open little door, seek, cut and go :)

2. why did i choose the left of the two numberplatelights (topic installing backup camera) !

Why the left, i'll try to explain... When i'm backing up (no UK drive...) I now can see the total left, the middle and most of the right side. The rest of the right side I can see in my right mirror, so i don't have to make the switch with my head to go watch the left mirror, so i only have to watch at my right side (mirror inside, monitor inside, right mirror).... mindstunning .... :)

·
Registered
315 Posts

I used the same reasoning. Also, the camera bulge on the module is to the right of the light so if you mount it to the right license plate light, it moves the camera even farther to the right. It is closer to the center when mounted on the left license plate light.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

For testing and temp. installation i used the cig. plug as 12 volt suply for the gvif, dvd player.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Thanks for the awesome write up , I have ordered all the parts just waiting for it to come in the mail.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Great, let me know when you have problems installing

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi johnkoot , I got the gvif unit today . From the "power/can" harness. The 3 wires I need to use are the " red acc wire " , the black gnd wire " and the grey "rear" wire ?

I need to connect the red and black wire to my cigarette lighter that I bought and the grey wire I just wire to the 12 v of the back up light ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ran into another problem. I have hook up everything the way you said johnkoot. When I go into reverse nothing comes up. I think I might have a malfunction camera

·
Registered
11 Posts
what bad luck , I think I got a defective unit . All my wiring is correct. I check like 20 times. The camera works perfectly with another system I have on my other car. When I hit the little remote switch button I can blank screen on the screen. Av1 av2 av3 shows up. For some reason when I go into reverse nothing shows up.

·
Registered
315 Posts

I doubt you have a faulty GVIF unit. Most likely culprit is the video cable running from the camera. If not already done, plug the camera right into the the RCA plugs of the AV1 input on the GVIF unit to see if you get video feed when you toggle the little button to AV1. If you get video, then somewhere in your installation the video cable got damaged and need to be replaced.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts