Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here some pictures I took while installing an aftermarket backup camera to my range rover sport 2006 supercharged. The camers is common on the internet and the same for the freelander. The camera will fit at one of the numberplatelighting holes.

First you pull out the 'old' numberplatelighting, I choose the left one, the right will give you more sight at the right side of the car;

IMG_1812.JPG

There is no easyway to hide the wires, so I choose to lead the wires along the backwindow where it is out of sight, therefore you need a space to get the wire out of the opening;

IMG_1814.JPG

Here the camera is in position;

IMG_1817.JPG

And with the door fully closes it looks like this;

IMG_1819.JPG

The cable connected directly to the camera is short, so you have to extend the cables directly near the camera, i used the space behind the plastic of the motorised lock;

IMG_1823.JPG

And with the plastic back on it looks like this;

IMG_1825.JPG

Then is used black tape to guide the wires to the top of the window, okay, you can see it now, but not with the window closed, and when the door is open, you also can't see the tape;

IMG_1827.JPG

Now you have to guide the two wires from the window to the ceiling of the car, first from the window to the door, you have to remove the plastic at the top of the window;

IMG_1820.JPG

And second from the door to the ceiling;

IMG_1833.JPG

The wires I've taped against the rubber which contains original wires;

IMG_1835.JPG

The result so far is the next picture in the following post, two wires hanging out of the ceiling....

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And we go on....

IMG_1839.JPG

Now we have to push the wires under the ceiling and guide them down to the 12V socket;

IMG_1840.JPG

Because i want the camera availeble all the time i hook the 12v up at the back of the 12V socket (orange connector), if you only use the camera for backing up, you can connect de 12V to the reverselight;

IMG_1843.JPG

Now we have one cable left, the video signal;

IMG_1845.JPG

I've guided this wire along the black upholstery up to the back of the front seat;

IMG_1846.JPG

IMG_1853.JPG

IMG_1855.JPG

Next week i'm going to hook the video signal to my GVIF interface, but first I've to install that.... also next week....

For now i connected the video signal to a loose video screen between the front seats, so now I now the camera works (all the time)....

IMG_1861.JPG

IMG_1863.JPG

IMG_1864.JPG

·
Registered
385 Posts
I can only say superb job because is the same way I did mine.

The only difference is that I do not have it powered all the time.

Mine is powered by the reverse lights, goes through the GVIF and I installed an extra switch.

This way it comes on and the screen switches to the camera when I select reverse.
Same thing happens when I select the switch when not in reverse, camera comes on and screen switches to camera automatically

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Then you had to put some extra wires from the GVIF to the camera for the power when you're not in reverse, but is very nice, because then the camera is not continuous feeded by the 12V...

A question @ flydrive, my GVIF is still in on its way from asia to europe, but when it's here, i want to install it directly, can you take some pictures from the connections I've to make from the GVIF to the Navigation to pull it of in one attempt? Switch setting? Swap 12V red en yellow? Where does the extra cable i'd to order goes? A $%^&* guide on the website of the reseller....

·
Registered
385 Posts
I will try to take some pictures tomorrow.

Here is how I installed the switch

reverse camera wiring.jpg

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, thanks for your reply!

I can't read what's written at the right side, is that just a simple 12 volt connection?

Then to a switch, such as this i suppose?
http://img.alibaba.com/img/pb/172/754/556/556754172_096.jpg

The 12 volt switch connected directly to the grey wire, the grey is a 12 volt output which has a 12v signal when the car is in reverse, is that right?

The diode wiring i get, if your car is in reverse the 12 volt for the camera is delivered by the grey wire, but when you're manually switching you don't want one of the reverselights to come on, am i right?

What diode did you use, can you get me a link to that diode?

Looking forward to your answer and the pictures of the connections!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hi,

I can't read what's written at the right side, is that just a simple 12 volt connection?

I wrote "ignition", you can call it switched power, I took power from the cigarette lighter plug.

Then to a switch, such as this i suppose?
http://img.alibaba.com/img/pb/172/75...754172_096.jpg

Yes one like that is fine.

The 12 volt switch connected directly to the grey wire, the grey is a 12 volt output which has a 12v signal when the car is in reverse, is that right?

The grey wire is the one that tells the GVIF to automatically switch to the camera input and switch the screen when it sees power.

For the GVIF connections you have:
12V power (red)
ground (black)
rear camera switch(grey)
Rear camera input (rear-c label)
connection to from to nav dvd

And other connections.

If you want the automatic switching you connect the camera to the "rear-c" plug and you need power from the reverse lights to the grey wire.

As is now your set up you could connect the camera to any of the other A/V inputs and the select the source using the GVIF switch/remote

My GVIF is quite old so your might be slightly different.
Here a good guide from the other forum

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/16157/hids4u_GVIF_rev_1_june_11.pdf

The diode wiring i get, if your car is in reverse the 12 volt for the camera is delivered by the grey wire, but when you're manually switching you don't want one of the reverselights to come on, am i right?

Correct.

What diode did you use, can you get me a link to that diode?

I used a "1N5404 diode" like this

http://www.newark.com/multicomp/1n5404/standard-diode-3a-400v-do-201ad/dp/98K5011

I used this because I have a bunch of them, I used the for the reading lights mod too. Don't know if any other would do.

Here you can see the dip switches on my GVIF

gvif1.jpg
gvif2.jpg

·
Registered
314 Posts
You can use the reverse light fuse under the glove box and run a wire from there to the grey 12v trigger input on the GVIF. This is far easier to do than splicing into the reverse light then running that cable to the GVIF. You can use add-a-fuse kit for this. I also ran my power for the GVIF in the same way by using a second add-a-fuse kit to get power from the front cigarette lighter fuse.

You can use a Y-splitter for the yellow RCA video cable coming from the reverse camera. You can plug one of the two video feeds to the reverse input and plug the second feed to one of the AV inputs on the GVIF. This way you can see the reverse camera input by selecting the particular AV input at any time. When you put the car in reverse, it will automatically trigger the reverse camera input.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Flydive and Grasshopper, i'll connect it like one of the options i've now, in a week time it must be connected and working, i'll post the result and wil make a step by step connectionguide for following Rangers...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A question to you both, i just read the guide for installation (link in post Flydive). There is an advise to NOT connect the can high and low connections.

Did you both have the can connected or not. If it has no use, why should you connect?

I think it could have a function... Isn't the can communication for the reverse signal, if so, you won't need the grey wire.

I'll probebly try it out, but want to now if you connected it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Installed the GVIF, there were no problems while installing, pretty straight forward. (the CAN connections which were described the posts above won't work, you'll need the grey cable 'rear' to make the GVIF switch.)

I'll make a new thread (this weekend) with a few pictures, i'll call it "How to install the GVIF version 7.2 to a Range Rover Sport 2006".

The backup camera works nice. Because i got help from Flydive and Grasshopper, I now have disconnected the camera from the 12 volt socket in the back of the car and connected the camera to the 12 volt of the backuplights.

I've installed the wires just like the picture in the 6th post, so when i turn a switch on the dashboard, the screen automatically turns to the backupcamera, and when i go in reverse the same.

but..... i've ordered a second camera. The camera i'll connect with some extra wiring and diodes (i'll use 1n4004) to the same video input and grey wire of the gvif. My 12 volt switch on the dashboard has two outputs, the first for the rear, the second for the front. Also in my next thread a picture of the wiring of that installation.

So... to be continued....

·
Registered
314 Posts
I powered the camera by splicing into the wires for the license plate light. I have to switch on the parking lights or headlights to activate the camera. It is a small inconvenience compared to running a power line to the camera from elsewhere.

The GVIF module allows the user to overlay parking lines to the reverse image but they are skewed and don't look that good. I bought a camera that has its own parking lines.

I would really like to know if someone has sourced a high quality camera for this application. After spending all that money and time on this installation, it is a shame that the cameras available are so crappy in quality. I have a 1/4" CCD camera with 480 lines of resolution. I would really like to get a 1/3" CCD camera with 520 lines or better. If anyone knows where to source a better camera, I would greatly appreciate if you can kindly let me know.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
385 Posts
Mine is similar to the first link.

Unfortunately without parking lines and my GVIF does not have them either.

Interested on the front camera install, been in my plans since long.

What camera are you getting for that, the rear one is not good because of the mirror view.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
385 Posts
Very interesting the one you got, I like it, seriously considering it:thumb:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, but first i have to puzzle a way for the wires from the front to the dashboard, gonna be a hell of a job i think, when it's done i'll post some pictures and a how to mini guide :)

I think you got parkinglines to, you have to push the < button for two seconds, then you are in the factory settins menu, you can position the picture on the screen, i had to that to for a centered screen. Also you can add parkinglines in your version 6.2, here is the link, see page 22:

http://car-solutions.com/content_file/product/813639/GVIF_v6_xx.PDF

·
Registered
385 Posts
Thanks, but first i have to puzzle a way for the wires from the front to the dashboard, gonna be a hell of a job i think, when it's done i'll post some pictures and a how to mini guide :)
Not too difficult.

Behind the brake servo there is a rubber plug.
Is where the clutch cable would go on a manual car.

Remove it, the from there punch a hole through the cabin insulation, you will come out around where the pedals hinge.
Use a pointy screwdriver or similar, then before removing it, attach a wire to it that you will use to bring the wires inside the cabin.

Then punch a hole in the rubber plug and feed the wires through it and reinstall it.

Here the plug, picture not to clear but should give you an idea.

RIMG0012.jpg

1 - 20 of 55 Posts