RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I'm trying to install PS4 in my RR and connect it to my aftermarket rear DVD system. I used to have the same set up in my previous MB GL350 and it worked fine using my old inverter , but it does not work in the Range Rover. As soon as I turn on PS4 - the system (PS$) lights up for 3-5 seconds and turns off. Clearly there is not enough power from cigarette lighter line. When I connected the system straight to the battery using more powerful inverter - the system worked. Does anybody have experience how to do it ? Is there a 115 volt power outlet somewhere in Range Rover ? My car is 2016 RR TD6.

Thanks much.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You might want to try wiring the inverter to a fuse tap on an existing fuse in the side panel of the rear. Cigarette lighter ports often don't have enough juice to run high amerage appliances, and vastly varies on which amperage fuse it's connected to, and what else is on that line (some of the cigarette lighter ports share a fuse with other electrics). Also, some older inverters aren't very efficient at transforming DC to AC, getting a new one might help if you're on the line on amperage.

Note that the PS4 does consume quite alot of power when running certain games. While I have the PS4 Pro, slightly more powerful, it can consume up to 400W when running more graphically intensive games such as Horizon Zero Dawn.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Lcd32bit. Yes, I bought the new 1000w inverter and will try again this weekend. My electronic shop guys says that he can do a separate line straight from the battery dedicated only for PS4 with the fuse and all kind of protections. He says that he's done it before and it works fine. Well....I'll check his words this coming weekend :) . Another option I may have is in the back of the trunk - there is a 12V outlet...I may try it ...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doesn’t direct to battery have the potential to drain it if you forget to turn the inverter off - can happen if you are in a rush. Are there specific fuses which are safe to tap into in the L405/L494?
Yes, this is absolutely right, but I'm not going to forget . I use PS4 only 2 times a year on my trips from NYC to Florida for my son's entertainment and there is no way I will forget to turn it off :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. So last Saturday went to my local shop and they connected inverter to something under the right side back panel of the car. Works perfect. Thank you guys for your help and suggestions. Totla cost of dual screen 10" DVD system plus installation plus inverter was $550. I think its not bad compared to $2K RR option.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts