Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a couple of weeks ago, I had one of those cane sugar coke bottles in the cup holder, but bottle is narrow and just sits on the cup holder. drive out of driveway and first stop side, just tips enough that some cola spilled out. Hit the cupholder cover and I immediately clean it up. No thinking about it much. Then couple of days ago, try to slide the cupholder cover and it's stuck, I rock it back and forth and it's sliding again, then let it sit, and it'll be stuck again, slide and it's good. Which leads me to believe the sugar got into the tracks and it's sticking. How can I clean it without having to take it apart. Seems like it's inside the console, when cover slides all the way to end.

Well, if you made it this far, good for you. Any advice?

I was thinking of spraying some of those electronic cleaners along the tracks and have it slide back and forth a bit to see if the liquid will make it's way back there.

-ThinkMac-
:oops:

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I would try WD-40 because it won't damage the plastic or wood finish. I've never tried to dissolve sugar with it but would be easy to test by spraying some onto sugar.

·
Banned
305 Posts
don't use wd40. it'll get messy with overspray and might haze the finish. also- it can gum up with dust. I'd recommend rubbing alcohol followed by immediate wipe up with clean water. use soft microfiber. an alternative specially made for all this type of stuff is Einzett cockpit cleaner.

·
Registered
329 Posts
don't use wd40. it'll get messy with overspray and might haze the finish. also- it can gum up with dust. I'd recommend rubbing alcohol followed by immediate wipe up with clean water. use soft microfiber. an alternative specially made for all this type of stuff is Einzett cockpit cleaner.
This. Rubbing alcohol is your friend here, not only will it dissolve the sugar, but if it gets on electronics it will evaporate without potential corrosion damage.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Also, use several Q-Tips dipped in rubbing alcohol to really scrub the inner surface of those rails/tracks (the portions you can reach at least, which is where most of the gunk has probably collected) until the tips come out clean.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Uh, thanks for the q-tips, never thought about it.

Going to be using a lot of q-tips this weekend. :)

-ThinkMac-

Also, use several Q-Tips dipped in rubbing alcohol to really scrub the inner surface of those rails/tracks (the portions you can reach at least, which is where most of the gunk has probably collected) until the tips come out clean.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts