RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help!!

My 97 4.6L RR crapped out on me a couple of week ago while I was driving in the middle of traffic. I completely stalled with no warning. Tried to start it up but no go. 15 minutes later it started and i was able to drive it to a safer spot, but as I drove it out, it shut down again. I parked it and waited for 45minutes. Started it up again, and now it runs like nothing happened. What the heck?

I am told that it is the crank position sensor. So I bought the sensor and it is on its way. I want to attempt to change this out myself, but I need a step by step instructions on how to change it out. Can anyone help? Please?

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
It's down under the engine at the back where the bell housing meets the engine. You can't miss it. It's on the opposite side to the starter motor - i.e. LHD driver side.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Two bolts, one connector... super easy. It'll take ya longer to raise the truck to wading mode and crawl under than to replace it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi oclynda,i had the same crappy problem not 2 weeks ago and changing the sensor is easy enough `8) .Just like described by rich988a is where you'll find it,mind you it can be a bit oily/greasy down there so before you take it out clean it with some brake cleanser or carb intake cleanser(both spraycans) and also the area surrounding the sensor since you don't want any greasy grit getting in there with your crankshaft!
Just take out the old one and when placing the new one leave it in the plastic bag it comes in ,just pull out the connector so you can connect the connectors first (on the topside of the engine )and then lower the sensor to the aproximate position where it will come cleanly out of the bag for you to fasten it with the screws.
Don't go like i did :oops: and first bolt it in cause your gonna have a fit trying to get the connectors to click together,my knuckle is still thick and sore from being stuck.
Also remember that when you put the car in wade mode to leave the tailgate open as to block the EAS so it doesn't decide to lower the car a bit :twisted: with you under it :!:
Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Guys !!

I just wanted to say a big THANKS for the great tips on how to change the crankshaft sensor on m P38. As soon as I received the sensor, I was excited to get it changed. Its been a little over a month and no stalling. Awesum!!!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
This symtom can also point to a faulty fuel pump or relay too but thats a easy one to test for

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
37 Posts
-- This symtom can also point to a faulty fuel pump or relay too but thats a easy one to test for --
Hi

I had a similar problem the gearbox warning light came on and I just rolled to a halt - how can I check a faulty fuel pump or relay please ? and can one check the crankshaft sensor ? Also how much and where can I order a crankshaft sensor from please .
I am worried that having the car now sat for 4 months - I may get other problems - it has been on it's bump stops all this time.

I had a chap diagnose a fuel pump fault said it started like on choke but not normal running - I have another fuel pump from a bmw car _ Bosch but do not really want to go their if it is something more simple.

Cheers

1 - 7 of 7 Posts