RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure this is a really stupid Q - 97 4.0 petrol - Gunsons Gas tester professional (DIY kit in UK) reading 4.5% and the car has started to smell of fuel with increasing consumption - just how do I plug WHAT into WHERE to READ and ADJUST ~~~~~~~~~~ my Reliant Scimitar has a mechanical fuel pump and carburettor so a twist here and a screw there & I'm sorted....

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
If it's starting to smell rich, chances are one of the HO2 sensors are playing about. Can you read any codes via the OBDII port? Any chance of connecting it to T4?

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
An OBDII reader should give you a Powertrain Pxxxx code or DTC - See viewtopic.php?f=8&t=29550 - so you need to plug in a 16 pin OBD reader into the plug down in the bottom right of the passenger foot well (UK RHD). Chances are it is pointing towards an engine sensor failing, probably the HO2 sensors in the cat end of the exhaust.

You'll need to reset the system using Testbook (or similar) or you can disconnect the battery for a while and then take it out for a long drive.

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Rich998a said:
you can disconnect the battery for a while and then take it out for a long drive.
Pardon my ignorance, but I thought that only worked on the later P38's and not the earlier ones (OP has a 97)? :think:

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,427 Posts
Rich998a said:
you can disconnect the battery for a while and then take it out for a long drive.
I find mine won't start if the battery is disconnected. :dance:

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,427 Posts
Rich998a said:
If it's starting to smell rich, chances are one of the HO2 sensors are playing about. Can you read any codes via the OBDII port?
Yours has WATER sensors? Quick, connect them to the coolant reservoir! :D

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Stop taking the piss, you two. :naughty:

I find my 95MY will revert to base settings when the battery is disconnected for a while. Not sure if it is true, but it definately runs rough for a few miles after.

And Ron, Land Rover refer to the oxygen sensors as HO2 sensors. I'm trying to be consistent in following the terminology. :geek:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sealey scanner shows no fault codes - I'd just assumed the metering has drifted off as it does on the Scim ~ being a tight wad (UK = miser) rather than dump it on my local Guy thought I'd learn how to adjust electronically,,,,,,,, I'll happily drop out the batt for a day or 2 if this resets it just seems weird that there is a 'set' value and no means to adjust (each car is an individual so would have thought tweaking would be in order)...

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
If a HO2 sensor is on it's way out, reseting the ECM is only going to put you back to square one again. I'd get it put onto Testbook to check what is going on. It would be worth the diagnostic plug in cost as you'd be saving time going straight to the fault.

·
Premium Member
1,702 Posts
Rich998a said:
Stop taking the piss, you two. :naughty:
[youtube:5a7m8ndj]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPIsTKpAoE4[/youtube:5a7m8ndj]

I read it was possible on the later ones and presumed it was the same for our rigs and said so to that effect - I was politely corrected by AllyV8 (IIRC).

Rich998a said:
I find my 95MY will revert to base settings when the battery is disconnected for a while. Not sure if it is true, but it definitely runs rough for a few miles after.
Maybe the battery disconnect clears the short term trims giving you a few rough miles but the long term trims definitely need an adaptive values reset.

This was a subject I read up on, when I was doing a little R&D into closed loop single point lpg systems.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts