RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has changed the operation of the P38 Sport button so that is makes the transmission shifting to be manual. If you have, or even if you have some ideas, I am interested in hearing them.

The reason I would like a manual shift button for high range is that I tow a large van and I hate the way the ECU downshifts too frequently. Sometimes I feel the engine has enough torque to get up a particular hill without shifting gears but the ECU has other ideas and shifts down which is really annoying.

When not towing I have played with Sport mode in high range and it seems not to be a very useful feature, so I could easily do without this function.

Cheers
Mick

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
478 Posts
Make the transmission ECU think it's in low range, and that should do it. You may experience a change in shift behaviour too, so maybe you can wire that into the button (eg. button pressed = low range signal to transmission + regular operation of the button).

·
Registered
536 Posts
Can be done, just need to be carefull operating it. On starting the car, any one built after 95/6 I think it is sends an alternating high and low signal from the transfer case ecu to the eat ecu to say "all is good". The signal then goes to 0 volts if high range, or high signal (not sure if its 12 or 5 volt) to say its in low range. So you would only be able to alter the signal to the eat ecu after youve started it (which wouldn't be an issue).

I don't think it would log any fault codes either as the eat ecu uses a speed signal from the output shaft in the transmission.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Can be done, just need to be carefull operating it. On starting the car, any one built after 95/6 I think it is sends an alternating high and low signal from the transfer case ecu to the eat ecu to say "all is good". The signal then goes to 0 volts if high range, or high signal (not sure if its 12 or 5 volt) to say its in low range. So you would only be able to alter the signal to the eat ecu after youve started it (which wouldn't be an issue).

I don't think it would log any fault codes either as the eat ecu uses a speed signal from the output shaft in the transmission.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting, I was thinking along those lines too. I will have to have a look at the wiring diagrams and see if there is a signal that will do the job without a lot of trouble.

All ideas welcome
cheers, Mick

·
Registered
58 Posts
Do keep us updated please if you find a solution. I never use the sport mode myself either as I feel there is plenty of low-end torque to use but the gearbox is just too happy to downshift.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Keep in mind that being in a high gear with the engine lugging at low speed makes the transmission work harder. It puts a lot of torque on the clutches and the oil pump is not spinning as fast so ussually lower line pressure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts